Honored Contributor

Re: Why So Many Masks On Sale?

@happycat wrote:

The ones I saw on sale on QVC were two layer, tommie copper washable. Two layer is not what cdc has been recommending, and they didn't seem to be on that great of a sale anyway. 

I hope everyone who has ordered those realizes they may not be enough. 

Those Tommie Copper masks are made of stretchy material which is the worst part about them...comfortable yes but when they stretch the fibers spread apart making the masks less effective at preventing germs from going through the gaps. I would not recommend them to anyone.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

Unfortunately,  in my opinion those making decisions for us all are going to have us wear masks for yrs .Now you have to wear them driving your car on intersates  and outside .  The vaccine is not going to change any of this  because we can't put  the  virus problem in a jar  and put a lid on it becuse  there are some who refuse the  vaccine and the constant influx of new people in our country unvaccinated.  There's the issue with other strains .  Since we all must wear the masks , retailers are  now making new styles  in varied fabric designs .  Is it becoming fashionable to  have one to match all our outfits like some notable people do ?

@skatting44  Wear a mask while driving? Not around here. We don't wear them walking around town either unless you come upon a crowd of people. As soon as you sit at your table in the restaurant they come off. 

Visit Maryland and you'll see plenty of people driving around with masks on . There are newly enacted  executive order  requirements. It is expected to also include 2 masks  soon.

www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/cdc-masks-requirement-public-transportation

www.aarp.org/travel/travel-tips/safety/info-2021/mask-mandate.html

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just received some great 3 layer masks from Etsy.  mariemapis is the seller.  I ordered one to see if I liked them and then ordered three more.  They fit well and have adjustable elastic.  They're so much better than any others that I have.

This is one of the masks from her shop.

D7B2156F-41CD-4A34-98FE-4F51CFC489DA.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Lucylu12 wrote:

With more people getting vaccinated masks will no longer be required. I have my second shot scheduled for the 23rd of Feb.☺️

Not true.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@happycat wrote:

The ones I saw on sale on QVC were two layer, tommie copper washable. Two layer is not what cdc has been recommending, and they didn't seem to be on that great of a sale anyway. 

Those Tommie Copper masks are made of stretchy material which is the worst part about them...comfortable yes but when they stretch the fibers spread apart making the masks less effective at preventing germs from going through the gaps. I would not recommend them to anyone.

I didn't know that, I just knew they were 2 ply. I'm disappointed in QVC for selling them, to be honest. 

I know everyone is out to make money, but there are people who think QVC is the bees knees and may not even think about the fact that these things may not work. And Tommie Copper is a popular brand too, so I guess I'm disappointed in them as well. 

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@happycat 

I don’t understand why anyone is making 2 layer masks and I’m very disappointed in QVC for selling them. 

I’d be using KN95 masks but the non-adjustable ear loops stop me. 

I use fitted cloth (different layers made of different material) masks with adjustable ear loops, 3 layers and a pocket for a filter. I use disposable PM2.5 filters.

Honored Contributor

I think with so very many people getting their covis virus shots, we'll be doing less mask wearing next year.

There's no way to repurpose the cloth ones and I'm rewashing my black ones.   I don't want patterns that are limited in their wear.

Respected Contributor

People love to spread doom and gloom.  No way this will last 3 years. I'm optimistic for a return to the office before summer begins. 

Esteemed Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@happycat 

I don’t understand why anyone is making 2 layer masks and I’m very disappointed in QVC for selling them. 

I’d be using KN95 masks but the non-adjustable ear loops stop me. 

I use fitted cloth (different layers made of different material) masks with adjustable ear loops, 3 layers and a pocket for a filter. I use disposable PM2.5 filters.

And when I saw Terri Conn selling the Tommie Copper ones last week, she didn't say you may need a second mask, I know in the news we have been told we may need to wear two now. 

I honestly think QVC has dropped the ball on this one. 

We use the KN95's and the cloth ones with filters sometimes. We don't go many in many places though. 

If I found out my elderly parents bought those 2 layer ones from QVC or anywhere else thinking they would be safe, I'd be ticked off. 

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@happycat wrote:

I didn't know that, I just knew they were 2 ply. I'm disappointed in QVC for selling them, to be honest. 

I know everyone is out to make money, but there are people who think QVC is the bees knees and may not even think about the fact that these things may not work. And Tommie Copper is a popular brand too, so I guess I'm disappointed in them as well. 

@happycat 

Months ago I watched a brief news discussion about the different types of masks and which ones were not protective. The discussion included knit and stretchy fabrics used in some masks. It went on to explain why stretchy fabric is not a good choice. It made me rethink about choosing masks.