Honored Contributor

Re: Why Mortgage When Downsizing?

If they even talk to her. 

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

We have no one to leave our money to so why shouldn't we spend it to make ourselves happy? Heck, even if you do have kids - you should not live poor just to leave them a bundle.

Of course you do - you have stepchildren, you mention them occasionally.  I am a Stepmom too, we absolutely do have "kids".  Whether you want to leave them something or not is your business but of course you have kids.

She doesn't like dogs, she doesn't like cats, she doesn't like kids, not even her own.

Respected Contributor

I am retiring at some point, I hope (being 68 now!).  And I have expected to have a small mortgage on the new house I buy when I move back nearer my family.

But I've been reading that the mortgage interest deduction may be going away in the new Washington climate. I imagine people who already have a mortgage would be grandfathered, but who knows? 

I didn't post this to be political, but I was startled to read that was on table and I will research carefully before I take out a mortgage, if there is no tax incentive to do so.  In that circumstance, I'll pay cash.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

We have no one to leave our money to so why shouldn't we spend it to make ourselves happy? Heck, even if you do have kids - you should not live poor just to leave them a bundle.

Of course you do - you have stepchildren, you mention them occasionally.  I am a Stepmom too, we absolutely do have "kids".  Whether you want to leave them something or not is your business but of course you have kids.

She doesn't like dogs, she doesn't like cats, she doesn't like kids, not even her own.

My stepchildren are doing very well on their own. They will inherit momentos of their father when I'm gone  but we plan to leave our" Fortune" to our church.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl....yes that is confusing isn't it, sorry.

...she is only going to have a small mortage.  She is putting down some cash and some will come from the sale of her home.  What is not covered will be her mortgage.  She did not want to dip in to deeply to her retirement money for her mortgage.

Esteemed Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

I am retiring at some point, I hope (being 68 now!).  And I have expected to have a small mortgage on the new house I buy when I move back nearer my family.

But I've been reading that the mortgage interest deduction may be going away in the new Washington climate. I imagine people who already have a mortgage would be grandfathered, but who knows? 

I didn't post this to be political, but I was startled to read that was on table and I will research carefully before I take out a mortgage, if there is no tax incentive to do so.  In that circumstance, I'll pay cash.

If one person loses this deduction all will lose it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Sad. I am glad my parents are not like this. We help each other.

How sad that you feel your parents should "live poor" to leave money to you. Why don't you earn &/or save your own ?

You do not know our situation.  They live poor? ok

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@missy1,,,not sure why you are sad about her comment.  DH had kids, I do not.  We are not intentionally leaving any money to them.  We earned it and if we want to spend it in our retirement we will....we have 'helped' them over the years when needed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@missy1,,,not sure why you are sad about her comment.  DH had kids, I do not.  We are not intentionally leaving any money to them.  We earned it and if we want to spend it in our retirement we will....we have 'helped' them over the years when needed.

I never said they were leaving me money. I also stated that we help each other. It doesn't mean it's always monetary.

You can't take your $ with you.

Respected Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I do agree with @151949, to a point.  I told my friends, who have no children and recently retired, that their goal should be to spend every last penny they worked hard for before they die.  I said it in a joking way, but truly, why shouldn't they enjoy their retirement years and spend their money to travel places, which they love to do?

Now, we have children.  They will, God willing, inherit a small business that will garner them a nice income with some responsibility but not 24/7 upkeep.  However, we also want to travel and spend some $ to have fun.  So, we won't live like paupers, saving every penny, just so they can retire in their 40s and live on the beach.  Smiley Wink    We've seen grown children who've wasted what their parents worked hard for, and unless you put forth at least some effort, it's human nature not to appreciate what you have.  Working hard helps us appreciate stuff.   JMHO