Respected Contributor

Re: Why Do We Say ""Easter SUNDAY""?

I personally like to greet people with ""Happy Resurrection Day"" which is the real reason we celebrate the day

Super Contributor

Why.Do.You.Ask?

Respected Contributor

On 3/23/2015 HiLo said:

I personally like to greet people with ""Happy Resurrection Day"" which is the real reason we celebrate the day

Good for you!

Honored Contributor

On 3/24/2015 Stella Dallas said:

Why.Do.You.Ask?

Why do you ask?
Respected Contributor

In the Catholic Church and in some Eastern Churches; the day after Easter is a religious holiday. Easter is Sunday and Monday. I grew up in the Anglican Church; Easter Week follows Holy Week. Easter Week begins on Easter and continues through Saturday. The day after Easter being a Holy Day. Of course, none of this has anything to do with SECULAR Easter which is all about Easter baskets, hams, candy peeps and a day off for some people.

Honored Contributor

On 3/24/2015 beammeupscottie said:
On 3/23/2015 HiLo said:

Good for you!

He has Risen is what I say to everyone on Easter Sunday. I always thought it was referred to as Easter Sunday the way Good Friday as its own independent name. More days at Easter than Thanksgiving if you do not include mindless shopping.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

On 3/24/2015 beckyb1012 said:
On 3/24/2015 beammeupscottie said:
On 3/23/2015 HiLo said:

Good for you!

He has Risen is what I say to everyone on Easter Sunday. I always thought it was referred to as Easter Sunday the way Good Friday as its own independent name. More days at Easter than Thanksgiving if you do not include mindless shopping.

He is Risen indeed!

Honored Contributor

Easter used to be a paid holiday where I worked, but was one of the holidays they cut .

Honored Contributor

On 3/24/2015 baker said:

Easter used to be a paid holiday where I worked, but was one of the holidays they cut .

That is so sad beyond words, not for the financial loss (which is awful of course) but the lack of importance the day is to some higher ups to make that corporate decision.

I see you phrased as worked, good for you.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

On 3/24/2015 beckyb1012 said:
On 3/24/2015 baker said:

That is so sad beyond words, not for the financial loss (which is awful of course) but the lack of importance the day is to some higher ups to make that corporate decision.

I see you phrased as worked, good for you.

Easter -- Resurrection Sunday -- always falls on a...well...Sunday. Most businesses are closed on Sunday so I don't understand this post: how can you cut "a paid holiday" that falls on a non-work day?

Myself, I don't think religious holidays should be included on the paid-day-off list. Years ago when the US was mostly a Christian nation, that worked. But we're a much more diverse nation here in the 21st century; there are so many religions that giving paid days off for each group's holidays could be a real problem.

My idea would be to grant a set number of paid holidays to be taken at the employee's discretion. Christians can take their religious holidays off, Jews can, Muslims can, etc. It seems to me that's a much more fair and easy was to address the situation.

If someone doesn't want to take their number of paid-days-off, they could donate them to other employees--for instance, parental leave, sick leave, etc. This is a movement that's gaining momentum and I think it's a great idea.