Honored Contributor

Re: Why Do We Say ""Easter SUNDAY""?

There are many places open on Sunday. I don't understand post #39. Best look around on Sunday, unless you live in a very rural area with no business places around. It is actually more unusual to see places closed.
Honored Contributor

We have always just said "Easter" in our family. However, ironically we say "Palm Sunday."

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

On 3/24/2015 beammeupscottie said:
On 3/23/2015 HiLo said:

I personally like to greet people with ""Happy Resurrection Day"" which is the real reason we celebrate the day

Good for you!

yep I agree!!

Honored Contributor

I worked for a Jewish CPA firm for 24 years. They took off for all the Jewish holidays, while we worked. We got Christmas and Easter which, of course was on a Sunday. Any other holiday we wanted to take off was applied against our vacation days. The long weekend holidays which included Mondays, when everything was closed, we were closed.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

I agree with the poster(s) who referenced Holy Week for the names of the days of this week. We called this week Holy Week, and the days were: Palm Sunday, Holy Monday, Holy Tuesday, Holy Wednesday, Holy Thursday(the Last Supper), Good Friday, Holy Saturday, Easter Sunday. That's how we learned it when I grew up (Catholic).
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Trusted Contributor

On 3/23/2015 lovescats said: When I look at the catholic calendar it is marked as Monday within the octave of Easter then continues with Tuesday within the octave of Easter till the 2nd Sunday of Easter ----eight days of Easter. In 2000 pope john Paul II designated the 2nd Sunday of Easter as Sunday of divine mercy

Yes, lovescats. It's Easter Sunday, Easter Monday, Easter Tuesday, etc., for the Octave of Easter, and so on for the rest of that week.

Honored Contributor

On 3/24/2015 northernlights said:
On 3/23/2015 lovescats said: When I look at the catholic calendar it is marked as Monday within the octave of Easter then continues with Tuesday within the octave of Easter till the 2nd Sunday of Easter ----eight days of Easter. In 2000 pope john Paul II designated the 2nd Sunday of Easter as Sunday of divine mercy

Yes, lovescats. It's Easter Sunday, Easter Monday, Easter Tuesday, etc., for the Octave of Easter, and so on for the rest of that week.

It's different for Protestants, at least for my denomination. As described above.
A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

It is, always has been, and always will be.