Honored Contributor

Re: Why Did Sears Fail? This Article Explains It

It is hard to believe that it all started with a watch repair shop owned by Sears and a watch repairman named Roebuck.  Small beginnings to well over a century later.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I am sad to see the Sears and KMart closings.  Since I'm in my 70's, shopping at both stores is part of my history.  I remember buying all my first baby's cloth diapers at Sears, way before paper disposable Pampers were even a twinkle in someone's eye.  That baby is now nearly 50.  Had Sears Kenmore appliances for years and years.  Receiving the huge 2xyear catalogs from Sears and Penneys was a highlight of my spring and fall.  Major Christmas shopping done from their Christmas catalogs, as well as at those KMart blue-light specials -- long before the evolution of the big box discount stores.

But Sears and KMart have not kept up with the times.  One Sears store near me looks exactly the same today as it did when I first walked inside in 1979.  Updating has been so badly needed across the board.  Oh well....can't take away my memories of past shopping joys, and no, I am not going to throw away my 6 ft artificial Chistmas tree, one of the earliest artificial trees on the market, purchased at Sears in 1968.  Bye Bye Sears...thanks for the memories...RIP.

Honored Contributor

@CJC wrote:

I am sad to see the Sears and KMart closings.  Since I'm in my 70's, shopping at both stores is part of my history.  I remember buying all my first baby's cloth diapers at Sears, way before paper disposable Pampers were even a twinkle in someone's eye.  That baby is now nearly 50.  Had Sears Kenmore appliances for years and years.  Receiving the huge 2xyear catalogs from Sears and Penneys was a highlight of my spring and fall.  Major Christmas shopping done from their Christmas catalogs, as well as at those KMart blue-light specials -- long before the evolution of the big box discount stores.

But Sears and KMart have not kept up with the times.  One Sears store near me looks exactly the same today as it did when I first walked inside in 1979.  Updating has been so badly needed across the board.  Oh well....can't take away my memories of past shopping joys, and no, I am not going to throw away my 6 ft artificial Chistmas tree, one of the earliest artificial trees on the market, purchased at Sears in 1968.  Bye Bye Sears...thanks for the memories...RIP.

The one in my town is in the process of shutting down right now.  They moved into the mall from downtown back in 1975 and is still the same throughout the store.  Nothing changed all these years.

I remember when Montgomery Ward's closed here. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

All of our appliances, with the exception of our stove, are from Sears.  Even our family room TV is from Sears as well as our riding mower.  The very first Christmas tree DH and I ever bought was from Sears 28 years ago. We still have that tree and it still looks fabulous.  

My husband owns a ton of Craftsman tools as well. 

Esteemed Contributor

Never had any use for Montgomery Ward, Sears or K-Mart. All carried low-quality merchandise and seemed poorly managed. Mom wouldn't let us shop in any of those places as teenagers.

My husband did buy Craftsman tools from Sears because his dad had done so . . . and our son also has some Craftsman tools (because his dad bought tools there). It's a guy thing, I guess. Smiley Wink

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Contributor

@Puppy Lips

I guess it depends on when you define their  "heyday". I know this: the Sears Wish Book as a children's institution. Back in the day. And when a Kenmore appliance wasn't made by a competitor, and the appliances could really be counted on for decades!!! Find that now. Parents had a dryer that lasted 40 years. Even the lawnmower I got in early 2000's still going strong. My "Craftbuddy." For things such as this which used to be, it is a pang to see another former icon of brandage and reliability die (again). Just saying.

Respected Contributor

Sear's Craftsman tools are great, and have been very popular for  long, long time.

Sears backed their Craftsman tools with lifetime replacements if the tools ever failed, at no cost to the customer.   That was a big bonus and selling factor.   Their tools didn't fail very often.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

All of our appliances, with the exception of our stove, are from Sears.  Even our family room TV is from Sears as well as our riding mower.  The very first Christmas tree DH and I ever bought was from Sears 28 years ago. We still have that tree and it still looks fabulous.  

@Lipstickdiva

I agree with you re Sears merchandise.  When I was a home owner - all appliances came from Sears.  DH's tools, etc. 

We used to tease my brother.  If he went shopping with us, we'd find him in the tool section "meditating" in the Craftsman aisles.

Valued Contributor

Nothing says Happy Holidays, like here's your lay off notice (:

Trusted Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Yep.  Seems Sears has always been known for their hardware....appliances, tools, electronics.  Penneys was known for software.....clothing and linens.