Esteemed Contributor

Who here bakes cookies for the holidays? I am going to bake with my middle granddaughter Dec 15 and 16..

We will make vegan and non vegan cookies. (2 of my granddaughters are vegan as of the past few years) I loved the vegan peanut butter cookies we made last year (better than my old family recipe!). So I cant wait to try more kinds of vegan cookies (as well as my usual cookies).

We have so much fun. We play Christmas music and bake up a storm. She is 17 and she is a big help. Without her helping, I couldn't bake all those cookies anymore. Whats cute is she always loves our Kitchen Aid mixer. I have never seen anyone get so excited about a mixer..lol..

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Re: Who will be baking cookies?

I usually bake cookies and try to do one recipe a day for about 5 days. I fill up several tins. I do many varieties of international cookies. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

How nice you and your granddaughter do this together , she will always remember it . I made my dough today and will freeze. It. 

Honored Contributor

I no longer eat much sugar, although I miss it!   Have cut way back on desserts and all types of candies and cookies.  

If I don't have this in my house...better for me.  

So no, I won't be baking.  

Honored Contributor

I gave up Christmas cookie baking years ago.  Now I only bake a family Christmas bread recipe.  However, if I had a baker visiting, I'd definitely bring the old recipes out again.  Have fun!  It's nice that you and your grand-daughter can keep this tradition going for yourselves and make some special memories together.

Esteemed Contributor

I will not be baking, but won't say no to a homemade cookie that comes my way.  YUM!

Valued Contributor

All the gals in our family do a cookie exchange and crafting day. So I will be making 10 dozen gingerbread cookies this year. It's always a lot of fun. 

Trusted Contributor

I already started baking cookies, but have frozen most of them.

I had a German step-mother who made many different Christmas cookies and provided beautiful, delicious cookie trays throughout the holidays.  My cookies are in no way like hers, but I still enjoy

baking and gifting cookies.

We will have everyone together this Christmas, so I am  looking forward to our older granddaughter joining in on the baking.

At eleven, she is beginning to enjoy cooking and baking, so it is a lot of fun.

It has been difficult, but I have learned to eat very few cookies myself.

Respected Contributor

I used to love to bake and decorate sugar cookies with my grandmother and continued the tradition when my child was younger. As a young bride I worked with a lady in the 1980's who gave me a recipe for "Secret Kiss" cookies, not the ones with peanut butter. I made them a few years in a row, and they were as hard as a rock. I called them "Cannon Ball Kisses." I was the only one who would eat them (often dipped in coffee), though my child would sneak the Hershey Kisses before I wrapped them in dough. One year I looked up other recipes to find how to make the dough softer and learned to add baking powder and a little salt that made the dough soft and raise a bit. I still make the Secret KIss cookies before Christmas and sometimes add a little red or green food color before they're baked and rolled in powdered sugar. But I don't share them at our work cookie exchange.  : )

Honored Contributor

While I am downsizing the list of who I give to I will still be baking several hundred dozens which I have started and usually bake or mix dough for several kinds.  It's all about the cookies and baking and I love doing it.