Respected Contributor

Re: Who's had mini-splits installed?

@winter girl  so glad you started this thread.  We are thinking of getting a mini split system, as we have no AC and no duct work for forced air.  I appreciate all the posters who replied with such great information.   

Occasional Contributor

Just had my first estimate on th mini-split system and got a lot of good info.  My house is 110 yrs. old so it lacks a lot like insulation, a duct system and AC.  It is expensive but I think the peace of mind for not asking anyone to put in my AC units and not getting that extra winter chill in the house will be worth it.  With all the rebates going around make sure you ask your utility co. about them.  Find a co. that does all the work including the electrical.  Some just put in the system then you pay extra for the electrician  Shop around.  Thank for all the good info from everyone.

Esteemed Contributor

@winter girl wrote:

Just had my first estimate on th mini-split system and got a lot of good info.  My house is 110 yrs. old so it lacks a lot like insulation, a duct system and AC.  It is expensive but I think the peace of mind for not asking anyone to put in my AC units and not getting that extra winter chill in the house will be worth it.  With all the rebates going around make sure you ask your utility co. about them.  Find a co. that does all the work including the electrical.  Some just put in the system then you pay extra for the electrician  Shop around.  Thank for all the good info from everyone.

I am waiting for the rebates to get all worked out.  Each state will handle it differently, but I intend to use it for a project just like this for another part of my home that I want to install another ductless mini split unit.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Regular Contributor

I leve in the desert in CA and a lot of people here have mini-splits in their garages to help with the oppressive heat.  The garage can get up to 120 degrees or more in the summer here.  I installed a swamp cooler in the garage when I moved here 14 years ago.  But the summers are getting more and more humid and the swamp cooler doesn't really work in the humidity.  I am thinking of putting a mini-split in to replace the swamp cooler.  Just hope that it isn't too expensive to run.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Valued Contributor

I looked at Mitsubishi electric split units ductless,

my friend has one, she loves it. I like it also.