Honored Contributor

Just curious, if you had to drop one of your streaming services which would you drop? I currently have HULU LIve TV, Amazon Prime, Netflix, and HBO MAX. I can't drop HULU since that's how I watch live tv, it would come down to Amazon Prime or Netflix. It costs me over $100 a month for all of them and that's without factoring in the Amazon Prime which I pay in one lump sum. Of all of them I hardly ever watch Amazon Prime so maybe that would go (I don't order that much from Amazon). 

Honored Contributor

I've found a lot of the things you can watch on Amazon you can watch those and more on Freevee (and no sign up either-all free).

It is owned by Amazon so not sure if you need Amazon to get it.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Super Contributor

Hi @Jordan2 , I just went through the same thing.  One needed to go.  I only have so many hours in a day, so I just couldn't justify having so many streaming options.  I decided to cancel the HBO Max.  I figure if a show I REALLY want to see comes out on their platform I can sign up again, but for now, the other 3 are more than enough.  I also agree that I use Prime Video very rarely, but I do order quite a bit from them so I kept my membership active for now.  I try to look at their offerings to find my "next show" to watch, so I feel like I'm getting my money's worth.  

To be fair, we also have cable in the house, but I could definitely live without it.  My SO is the TV nut, so that bill is his and he can do as he wishes with it Smiley Happy

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Respected Contributor

We watch Amazon more than Netflix (which surprised me). Netflix has more original content, but I'm not interested in most of it. Amazon has the Bosch series (a favorite!) as well as a lot of older movies that I like to watch. If I had to choose, I'd keep Amazon, but that's just me.  FYI, you can subscribe to Amazon streaming service without buying an annual Amazon Prime membership (which has gotten expensive IMO). 

We got a Britbox membership as a gift this year, and we're enjoying it. Lots of BBC series. I love mysteries, and Britbox has plenty. They don't have a lot of original content, so once the gift membership runs out, I don't know if we'll renew.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2    This is not something which should be decided by committee or public opinuon.  Only you know what you watch most and enjoy.  Only you can make a decision.

Did you know you can get all local channels like NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS and even possibly QVC and HSN, JTV, and many other free over the air by using a simple interior antenna?  Very easy to hook up.  I got a Mohu Antenna on Amazon for $12.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Just curious, if you had to drop one of your streaming services which would you drop? I currently have HULU LIve TV, Amazon Prime, Netflix, and HBO MAX. I can't drop HULU since that's how I watch live tv, it would come down to Amazon Prime or Netflix. It costs me over $100 a month for all of them and that's without factoring in the Amazon Prime which I pay in one lump sum. Of all of them I hardly ever watch Amazon Prime so maybe that would go (I don't order that much from Amazon). 

@Jordan2   You just answered your own question.  I thought the Amazon streaming service cost extra.  You wouldn't have to give up your Amazon Prime for shopping unless you want to do so.

Everyone has different tastes so only you can decide which services have the most programs that interest you.

What I may like may not be what you like, so what I would cancel would not be what you would cancel.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Re: Which Would You Drop

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Jordan2 

MY ADVICE---  IF you or a member of your family is an NFL fan you need to keep Amazon Prime because that's where Thursday Night Football games will be shown, Bezos bought those rights so no more national NFL games will be broadcast on Thursdays on the regular networks.....If there's no NFL fan involved, my second choice would be Netflix... GOOD LUCK!

This is what's happening with many people that "cut the cord" and instead signed up for streaming services...The cost of all the streaming services are starting to add up, and many of the streaming services are also raising their prices too---just adding to the problem.....Pretty soon folks will be paying as much as cable when you include the cost of an internet service that is needed to support streaming...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Jordan2 

MY ADVICE---  IF you or a member of your family is an NFL fan you need to keep Amazon Prime because that's where Thursday Night Football games will be shown, Bezos bought those rights so no more national NFL games will be broadcast on Thursdays on the regular networks.....If there's no NFL fan involved, my second choice would be Netflix... GOOD LUCK!

This is what's happening with many people that "cut the cord" and instead signed up for streaming services...The cost of all the streaming services are starting to add up, and many of the streaming services are also raising their prices too---just adding to the problem.....Pretty soon folks will be paying as much as cable when you include the cost of an internet service that is needed to support streaming...

@Spurt   The internet service can cost more than just one streaming service.  We've gone over this in our home many times and it still comes out costing more just because of the internet cost.

Grrr.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Stupid question - is 'Hulu Live TV' different than just Hulu?  I think I pay $6.99  a month for Hulu so I can only figure that the live tv one is much more expensive.  I also have Netflix, Prime, and HBO Max.  The last one is no charge since I have HBO on my cable.

It seems like over $100 a month for these is an awful lot.  Maybe there are some better deals out there.

Of the 4 of them I have, I might let Hulu go first but not sure.    Since the price for the ones I have is so little I've just kept them, even though I stream infrequently.   

If it were JUST for tv shows and such, I'd probably let Prime go first but since it includes the shipping and all that for shopping on Amazon that I use frequently, it's totally worth it for me.  I actually get back much more on my Amazon/Chase credit card than I pay for Prime each year.

Honored Contributor

Because of where we live we cannot stream. We seem to do fine w/out it. Don't know which one I would drop.