Respected Contributor

Re: Which Would You Drop

[ Edited ]

Once House of Cards wrapped up, I dropped Netflix.  Not because of the $, it's about 44 cents a day but because we never watched much on it.  

Between Amazon Prime , which we use for a lot of things, and Hulu Live TV, we seem to have what we want.   Truth be told , I don't watch much on TV besides sports, Jeopardy and MSNBC when DH has it on.   I just added Showtime to my hulu subscription because Homeland is back for the last season.  I don't watch any series, reality TV , food etc stuff on TV.   

If I were you, I'd monitor what I watch where for a month and drop the least used one.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

"Amazon Prime costs $119 for the year"

"Netflix for $12.99"

In reality $156/yr

"I need to cut back"

It would seem to me Netflex would have to go. 

How much is a non Prime membership?  Will you save w/a downgrade?  If so, I would go that route too.

Just saying since you asked.....

Technically there is no such thing as a non Prime membership.  You either buy it or you don't.

@CelticCrafter  So everyone that has an Amazon account is also a Prime member paying 1 membership price?  Asking because it appears some of the responses here do not have Prime.  I assumed their membership fee would be cheaper.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Uh, I don't think there is any such thing as a non-Prime membership.  You can go there and buy stuff without paying any kind of a membership fee.   If you choose to have Prime, then you pay and get the services it provides.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt 

amazon prime is $119 a year. not sure how you got your discount?

we have amazon student which is good at half the price.

after we lose that student discount, i am not sure i will keep prime anymore.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@chickenbutt 

amazon prime is $119 a month. not sure how you got your discount?

Oops - a YEAR.  Smiley Happy

Thanks for the info.  Now I'm curious as to why I paid less.  I didn't have any credits, as I often do between some surveys I do and the 5% kick back from my Amazon card.  

I really wish it wouldn't keep going up lately.   Seemed like it was $79 for a while and then $99 for a long while.  Then, it seemed like it started going up a little bit every year or so.  Smiley Sad    

I don't even know how many millions of people pay for Prime, but I'm pretty sure it is MANY million so they are doing fine with it.   I don't know where my line will be but I'll know instantly when it happens.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 

Amazon Prime is 119 a year not month

@sunshine45 wrote:

@chickenbutt 

amazon prime is $119 a month. not sure how you got your discount?

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Frequent Contributor

Gift cards are the way to go for our family. That way if we notice in 6 months that we aren't really watching, let's say Netflix, then we don't purhase another gift card. No hassle canceling. Christmas gifts were for HBO NOW gift cards and they were well received. Google the topic for gift cards for streaming channels, etc. for more information.

Trusted Contributor

We were actually getting ready to drop Netflix. Then, Comcast included it in our new 2 year contract.  

Our Comcast bill went up $20/mo in January, even with our contract, because they raised all sorts of fees.  So, we turned in two of our three boxes.  I also found out that we no longer had to use their modem for our phone service, and we purchased our own, which is much, much better.  We also purchased two additional Roku's, which I love.

We're saving close to $40/mo.  And, we got the Roku's on a recent sale at Best Buy.  So, our savings will pay for the new devices in less than a year.

We have triple play, which also saves.  Our new total is $185/mo for HD DVR service with one device, full phone service, highest internet speed, all of the movie channels, except Cinemax, and Netflix.  I'm pretty pleased with that price.

I'll never give up Amazon Prime. I watch many of the shows.  And, I probably save $120/year in gasoline alone....plus the convenience of not having to run all over town looking for an item I'll never find.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Esteemed Contributor

I have Hulu and CBS All Access both with ads. Each service $5.99 per month. I don't plan on getting Netflix.

I have Amazon Prime. I order often from them, subscribe to Amazon Unlimited music and get a discount on a newspaper.

Your Fire tablet uses Amazon Prime. I would cancel Netflix. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I can live, and have lived, happily without Prime. I always find enough stuff to get their free shipping and I'm in no hurry to get any of it. If I needed something right now, then I get my butt to the store and do it the old-fashion way...in the checkout lane.

I'm a long-time Directv customer, almost 20 years running, and I have no desire to view programs on my TV via streaming. That's not why I bought a big 4K TV. I want to see the best I can get and streaming doesn't cut it...not by a long shot.

Around here a good quality high-speed internet connection costs nearly as much as what I pay for satellite TV and a good internet connection is vital if you want to see a quality picture w/o buffering issues.

@SilleeMee ...I was a long time Direct TV customer but my daughter made the decision that it had to go in order to cut costs.  We have Netflix, HULU  and Sling.  Do I miss my Direct TV?  Yes, but one has to keep the peace.  I do agree with you though.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam