Respected Contributor

Re: Where are all the paper products???

The real problem is we have no idea when this will end, what's really going on with the supply chain, etc. People will hoard to protect against a very uncertain future, because one thing we can be certain of is the need for toilet paper and the inability to use toilets in commercial sites. (They may not be safe anyway because of virus shed, from something I read recently on Medscape.)

I make no apology for stocking up to the maximum permitted by the store. Having a stash of paper goods gives me a tiny bit of peace of mind, and if anyone begrudges me or anyone else that, tough noogies. Good luck to my fellow hunter-gatherers, and remember: The early girl gets the Charmin.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My t.p. quest took an amazing turn today.  I went to post office, and I had a package in a storage locker; I unlocked locker and package wasn't for me so I turned it in to  clerk. By time I got home and there was notification that my 24 rolls of t.p. were in my locker.  I went back to p.o., waited in line, told clerk my issue and said I need that t.p. Amazingly he found it! DH and I feel that if I had not returned to P.O. we would not have gotten that t.p. ( you could tell what it has stamped contents all over package) and even if someone found the "mistakenly" placed package, because of what it was and complete lack of t. p. In our town for over a month....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here it is!  Price gouging at its best!  Took my sr ladies who insisted to get there right when the store opened to get paper products.

OK only kind they had was Charmin & Bounty.  Note the prices..totally insane...I wouldn't buy even if I was desperate!

1CBFA03D-A0B7-4D41-8F99-88354B6BB9AE.jpeg

8 double rolls

F0627B55-74D3-4DE9-9D20-56AE0937CD56.jpeg

6 roll package 

They bought the food they wanted there and off to WM we went. Hmmmm...

loads of Angel Soft, Northern Quilted - at usual price! Even bought Bounty towels for $9.99 -- no price gouging at WM just regular price!

854DD333-FE53-4B67-8DC7-9FE5CE1CD2FB.jpeg

I think the senior shopping hour is the worse idea ever! Tried this last week😳 crowded and long lines.  They thought today was early hours -- no just regular hours.  The store had maybe 8-10 people and everything was stocked in all aisles.

I enjoyed going early we were home by 9:30 that included stops at CVS and Walgreens!

My friend went when to Sam's Club opened.  She got all her paper products, meats and dairy she wanted.  Told me the store was stocked and no long lines...maybe it's starting to get a little better!

Esteemed Contributor

Just me and my hubby and we are Costco shoppers.  Costco only sells in quantities.  Way before the virus hit I bought toilet paper and paper towels and simply put it away.  I need nohing in the paper product line.  I noticed that some stores have it and some don't when I walk in.  I stay away.  Someone else needs it.... I don't 

I will not go early morning.  Even in our rural area there are lines.  If I wait the stores are empty.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I think it's a distribution system problem that will take some time to sort out.  With most people staying home, at-home use of paper towels, napkins, and TP has dramatically increased.  Meanwhile, institutional use of these products - at schools, offices, restaurants, etc. - has plummeted.  Manufacturers of institutional products are unable to pivot easily to home products for various reasons, such as product size (think of the huge roles of TP in public restrooms), pack size, quality (institutional quality is lower than home quality), and, not least, distribution system (retailers don't have relationships with institutional distributors).

It will get sorted out eventually, but the transition period may be difficult, especially if the free market is left alone to solve the problem. 

@ValuSkr 

I read an article the other day that said exactly what you have posted. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have 2  limits here on certain things including toilet paper and paper towels. But I heard older people buy them all up because they are allowed to shop earlier here..

AND I am older and CAN shop earlier too but haven't yet. We have toilet paper before this happened because I am one to replace things way ahead of running out. But if this continues we wont have any! Paper towels we found once so using sparingly and more using rags I can wash! 

Also cant find ANY cleaning products. None zilch...! had trouble finding pasta too but I had 3 extra and just found rigatoni finally on Tuesday but no noodles. 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

I got paper towels today and label said proudly made in the USA of USA and imported components.

Honored Contributor

A couple of days a week someone locally (southern WV) lets me know they found toilet paper; usually at Wal-Mart, Dollar General or Kroger.   IGA has only put out 4 roll packs of the cheapest toilet paper being made, but they put out enough to fill the whole shelf, which disappeared in one day.   

No one seems to be getting the quantities for stores to fully restock their shelves, or the stores have made the decision to only put out so much per day to give customers who need it a chance to buy it.  

I think the customers who missed out on the opportunity to hoard a month ago, are still trying to catch up.    

Esteemed Contributor

@september 

Yikes, indeed!

Thanks for the laugh.  I really needed it. Cat LOL