Super Contributor

Re: Where Did Everyone Get Their Masks

@Jordan2  I purchased my masks at Walgreens about 4 years ago when the flu vaccine wasn't very effective that year. I was caring for my mother and was scared to death she would get the flu. We were constantly in and out doctor's offices, ER, and the hospital. I kept them. I have about 10 masks left. Plastic gloves I usually have a supply due to cold and flu season. The gloves were purchased at Dollar Tree. You can't find plastic gloves around here either except for dishwashing gloves. I have extras of those also.

Respected Contributor

Already had some. We’re in rural Texas so keep them on hand when mowing hay and using pesticides. Had these left over from the paint store last time I painted.

Really haven’t had to use them though cause staying home as mandated.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC - link to another retailer

Honored Contributor

I have a good friend who makes them according to CDC (I believe it is).

She's had to give me close to 14 so far for family and friends.

There are places on the internet where you can buy them.

Many are waitlist only.

Regular Contributor

I got an N95 back in February before everything hit the fan. Look on ebay.

Esteemed Contributor

In 2015, I traveled to Borneo, via Seoul, South Korea.  They had just recently gone through a MERS outbreak. It was under control when I got to Seoul, but I had purchased a box of 50 cheap masks to take with me (had no idea about this N95 thing back then) So, my family is using those.

Spoiler
Mom and me wearing our masks the wrong way (had to take her to doctor's office; otherwise, we don't take her anywhere.) I don't like to get this close to her, but she was having some medical issues.

FB7BB5D4-F539-4D77-A662-B79D16ACAB7D.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had about 8 or so disposable face masks because I use them when I fly to Las Vegas and back. I haven't bought any face masks since last summer when I bought some at Walmart Canada. The other ones I have I bought a year ago at the Miniso store (those stores are in Canada too.) These are considered disposable but I have washed them and reused them since I don't have very many left.

My brother in law bought a box of disposable face masks from an asian grocery store back at the end of January and recently bought a box from Walmart's canadian website.

As to making your own face masks, I also sewed some using athletic bra inserts using 1/8 inch elastic. but those are tight fitting and they are not that comfortable to wear for long periods of time as they leave elastic marks on your face.

I have also sewed some rectangular pleated face masks using youtube quilter Leah Day's video. There's a link to her website on her youtube description box so you can print out the instructions and PDF free pattern to make your own face mask. The adult mask video has had nearly 3 million views and the child size video more than 250,000 views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNX0cRrYj6U

How to Sew a Face Mask with Filter Pocket - Fast and Easy DIY Flu Mask

She also has a video for making a child's mask as well. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv2zrkE5yQ4

Child Size Face Mask Sewing Tutorial with Ties and Filter Pocket - Fast and Efficient!

Her versions are simple to sew with one piece of fabric and you can use elastic that goes over the ears or shoe laces or cording to tie behind the head. The child's version, she uses shoe laces because elastic thread is hard to find in stores because stores are closed or sold out as people make their own face masks.

I used a pillowcase and cut it up to sew 2 face masks and a different pillowcase to sew 2 more of them.

If you can't buy 1/8 inch flat elastic, think outside the box. Do you have bungee cord elastic, the type used in outerwear coats to cinch the waist or bottom hem? What about athletic shoe laces from shoes you don't wear? Or thin elastic hairbands made by Goody? One hairband can be cut into 2 pieces of elastic for a face mask.

My other tip if you are going to make more than one mask is to make a rectangle template pattern out of cardboard so you can easily trace around the pattern on your fabric that you are using. The adult size pattern is 9 inches by 15 inches. The child size pattern is 8 inches by 11 inches.

I also bought a box of those small clips she uses to hold the pleats in place at Walmart as they are easier than using straight pins when dealing with pleats but if you only have pins, that's fine.

My other tip is that if you do not have pipe cleaner to make the wire nosepiece, use a twist tie like the kind you close a garbage bag or close a plastic bag of vegetables. I grabbed a handful of them the last time I was in a grocery store. They are the right size, 4 inches for a nosepiece wire. I took apart one of my husband's disposable face masks that he had tossed in the trash to see what kind of nosepiece wire was in it and it was a white twist tie.

As to what kind of filter to use, use a blue paper towel or coffee filter or napkin. The filter is optional, you don't have to use one.

Honored Contributor

Through the years during flu season, I grab handfuls from my dr office (blue ones), CVS (purple ones) & Walgreen's pharmacy (mint green).  My car is mint green so I keep those in my car.

I am set till the next pandemic. Smiley Tongue

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

People here were sewing the masks (w/inserts) and distributing them to local vets, hospitals, etc. -- after they finished they asked for donations of materials.

Fast forward -- all the stores which sell material are out.  

Now, I found a lady on NextDoor (its a app) she was selling them for $5 and quite nice with pocket for additional protection .  I placed a order last week for 10 and she had me pick them up (outside her door each in nice sealed package).  

I then gave them to those who needed them.  I think this might be your best way using NextDoor lots of people are sewing and making the cloth kind.

Honored Contributor

We got them years ago..  I still can't remember how or why we even got them.  They sat in a plastic bag at for at least 5  years. I always referred to them as medical masks.   We also had disposable gloves.  Same thing.  I honestly can't remember when or why.