Honored Contributor

Re: When you were little......

[ Edited ]

@MacDUFF

I had long hair until the 7th or 8th grade.  I mean long hair that my Ma had to help me wash.   She was the person who decided the style from day to day.

I have a picture, maybe 5th or 6th grade, where I was wearing a red dress for picture day (we normally wore uniforms which hid our poverty too).  She pulled most of my hair back into a pony tail.  The pony tail was one long curl.  She decided to pin curl my bangs.  I think she was going for this look, except the pony tail made it less va va voom or mature.

When I looked in the mirror, I kind of dug it.  It looked hideous in the final school picture .

Regarding the saddle oxford shoes - that style of shoe was part of the uniform for my high school.  I wore them for 4 years.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

...I think she was going for this look, except the pony tail made it less va va voom or mature....When I looked in the mirror, I kind of dug it.  It looked hideous in the final school picture .

I had to chuckled at this, altho I'm sure it was not funny at the time.  You gotta give your Ma credit for stylish creativity or, at least, for making the attempt!

Regarding the saddle oxford shoes - that style of shoe was part of the uniform for my high school.  I wore them for 4 years.

Four years!!!  Sounds like torture to me!  Cruel and unusual punishment LOL!  Were your uniform shoes brown and cream or white and black?  A case could be made that the bl/wh are kitschy...the brown can never be justified!!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

@Bird mama  "THE TRAGEDY"

OK my aunt who had a twin sister (they were always up to something and always made me laugh) said the bathroom in their house was papered in Kotex boxes!  I didn't believe her, but my mom (their older sister) said it was true... oh, law!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF

Black and white

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

Not exactly emarrassing, but sort of humiliating...I was always the teacher's pet - along with my bestie...good students, etc. until 6th grade when our teacher apparently decided we were too bi for our britches and she'd cut us down a few pegs...

the must huiliating thing she did to me was punishment for being out of my seat while she was out of the room...the boys who sat on either side of me liked to tease me...this particular day, they were taking books out of my desk and putting them in the trash in the back of the room...my dilemma...get out of my chair and get in trouble...or not get the assignment done and get in trouble...

Of course, I went back to get the book and she walked in!  I ratted on the boys and we all had to stay after school BUT here's the humiliating part...she let the boys go after 15 minutes and kept me for 45 minutes...and, because my bestie waited for me, she had to stay after the next day!!

My 6th grade grades were not up to my usual either...my parents finally went to a conference (even my dad, which was VERY unusual!) - when the old biddy said to them somethig like "I bet she pushes her little brother around, doesn't she?"  my dad said "No one pushes him around least of all her!!!"  After that meeting, my dad said "Honey, you'll have to deal with difficult people all your life...better to learn that now...just get through the year and we understand!" 

Of course, my bestie and I used to harrass this teacher on the phone when we could...like she couldn't tell it was us, right???  But the way she treated me still smarts when I think about it...any chance she could to put me down....

Esteemed Contributor

@Sunnyfield wrote:

...my bestie and I used to harrass this teacher on the phone when we could....

Oh my!  Do you mean like "Prince Albert in the can," or "is your refrigerator running?"  Or...what!? 

Super Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

@Sunnyfield wrote:

Oh my!  Do you mean like "Prince Albert in the can," or "is your refrigerator running?"  Or...what!? 

You guessed it MacDuff!!  Whenver we had a sleepover....

Esteemed Contributor

@Sunnyfield wrote:

@MacDUFF wrote:

@Sunnyfield wrote:

You guessed it MacDuff!!  Whenver we had a sleepover....

You little stinkers LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

In first grade my best friend and I were accused by a girl we hardly knew of calling her names at recess. We didn't. In fact, we didn't even have much contact with her at all. At any rate, we said we didn't do it, but the teacher kept us in at lunch break until we apologized. At our young age, we said what she wanted to hear and moved on with our lives, but we never forgot. To this day, we still don't know why that girl singled us out and lied.  Recently, my friend was in Seattle and we talked about old times growing up. Neither of us ever miss a chance to mull it over once again....still with no answers. We told our parents about it, but in those days, people just shrugged things off. It didn't help that the teacher lived in our neighborhood.  My parents felt that it would only make things more difficult for me if they DID confront her, but it meant a lot to me that my parents believed me.