Honored Contributor

Re: When you keep waiting

[ Edited ]

@haddon9 wrote:

@Grouchomarx You are not alone.  I'm feeling the same way most of the time.  While I feel very fortunate that I don't have to worry too much about finances right now and I live in a nice quiet comfortable home & community, everything going on has made me very upset...to the point that I feel almost paralyzed with inaction to move and get things done!!

I've been focusing on trying to get one small thing accomplished each day and spending a lot of my time trying to figure out why I'm so tired...is it just because of current events, or is it something within me?  Maybe I have low B12 levels.  This is something I've been researching and I plan on speaking with my doctor soon about.

@haddon9, of course it's a good idea to check with your doctor. But I have read about common reactions to this pandemic, and one of them was being tired for no explicable reason.

I'm okay with getting most chores done, but I am failing when it comes to my avocation as a "poet," if I may be so presumptuous. I had been very active on a poetry site where you post your work and get feedback. It was so important to me, but right now, I just can't get motivated. I have to refill the proverbial inkwell. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 I've heard and read about the tired thing too. Anxiety and depression make you tired, I do know that for sure.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@Grouchomarx You are not alone.  I'm feeling the same way most of the time.  While I feel very fortunate that I don't have to worry too much about finances right now and I live in a nice quiet comfortable home & community, everything going on has made me very upset...to the point that I feel almost paralyzed with inaction to move and get things done!!

I've been focusing on trying to get one small thing accomplished each day and spending a lot of my time trying to figure out why I'm so tired...is it just because of current events, or is it something within me?  Maybe I have low B12 levels.  This is something I've been researching and I plan on speaking with my doctor soon about.

@haddon9, of course it's a good idea to check with your doctor. But I have read about common reactions to this pandemic, and one of them was being tired for no explicable reason.

I'm okay with getting most chores done, but I am failing when it comes to my avocation as a "poet," if I may be so presumptuous. I had been very active on a poetry site where you post your work and get feedback. It was so important to me, but right now, I just can't get motivated. I have to refill the proverbial inkwell. :-)

@suzyQ3 I understand.  I hope you start feeling better soon! ...of course I wish all of the awful things going on right now would end sooner rather than later!

I keep going back & forth with myself trying to figure out if there is something medically wrong with me or if it's all the bad events that we are living through. 

Reading what I'm writing right now suddenly makes sense that of course there is a good chance it's all of the depressing news.

I have to laugh at myself when on New Year's Eve I remember saying to myself that 2020 was going to be a GREAT year!...oh how wrong I was.

However I still plan on talking with my doctor later this month about it when I have a teleconference with him scheduled then. 

Honored Contributor

At 64 years old, I’ve decided I probably don’t have a second wind in me.  

What I do have in me is the ability to face reality.   When I look at the reality of the jobs I need to do in this house as my sole responsibility, which they are, then I know I have to get them done, period.  

I can’t stand to look at something in my home and know it’s not what it should be because I am too lazy to do it.   Something HAS to get done here every day, and that is what I keep in mind all the time to keep me moving.   

Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

At 64 years old, I’ve decided I probably don’t have a second wind in me.  

What I do have in me is the ability to face reality.   When I look at the reality of the jobs I need to do in this house as my sole responsibility, which they are, then I know I have to get them done, period.  

I can’t stand to look at something in my home and know it’s not what it should be because I am too lazy to do it.   Something HAS to get done here every day, and that is what I keep in mind all the time to keep me moving.   

Amazing. Except for your age, I could have written every one of those words myself, @RedTop

I am very grateful that you started this thread, @Grouchomarx . That took courage. I thought I was the only person in the Slough of Despond  who resolves to do X, Y, and Z, but breakfast segues into lunch into suppertime and 9 PM arrives and I realize I've forgotten the alphabet. What did I mean to get done?

Oh well. Tomorrow is another day. Try again, try again.

Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie thank you!  

Respected Contributor

@Silver Lining thank you!

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 thank you! It's nice to see you on here - it's been a while! It's just the two of us here and DH never showed symptoms. So glad your daughter and her family have recovered!

DH and I went for a walk this morning and it felt great! 😊

Honored Contributor

Re: When you keep waiting

[ Edited ]

Timers and the pomodoro technique. If you really don't want to do something, negotiate with yourself about the maximum period of time you're willing to do it. You can get a lot done in 15 or even 2 minutes. As proven by people's massive productivity gains right before they go on vacation or right before someone comes over.

Set a timer and start work. If you find you want to keep going when time's up, set a new timer.

I also trick myself sometimes by saying to myself, "I'm not willing to do it right now, but am I willing to be willing to do it?" And the answer is almost always yes.

Edited to add: also look into the kaizen technique. Tiny barely noticeable improvements and micro habits can add up to a LOT.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I have a deal with myself that in order to maintain my exercise bike habit, if I feel awful or just have no motivation, I'm allowed to just get on the bike, sit there and do only one revolution of the pedals and it counts as having exercised. I've gotten on there intending to do only that much, but I always wind up doing a lot more. The biggest trick is getting yourself to start.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr