Honored Contributor

Re: When this (virus) and all is all over with, I wonder what the discussions will be like.

@Mary Bailey wrote:

I've always been grossed out by people sneezing and coughing in public. Few cover themselves when they do. I've always used hand sanitizer after shopping. I try to wipe down the cart before using but they don't always have wipes available.

I hope I'm wrong but I fear.......  If this doesn't become the outbreak predicted, the nay-sayers will gloat. Just like the people that whine when the weather forecasters are wrong about tornadoes, floods and snow storms.

They are the same people that complain when the "worst" wasn't forecast and they were not prepared.

I'm the one that wants to know the worst case senerio and I prepare for that.  Forever thanful whenever it didn't come to that. 

@Mary Bailey 

Exactly. 

I've seen on the news channels already, doctors and health officials saying that if we do all these shut downs and caution, and the result is not much in the way of illnesses and deaths, we have to assume/know that it was because of the steps we took, but I'm afraid many will think just the opposite, like you express. 

In reality with aggressive measures taken, we will never know how much tragedy we avoid, but I will know it in my head and heart, and hope others don't discount it.

Honored Contributor

Re: When this (virus) and all is all over with, I wonder what the discussions will be like.

[ Edited ]

@RetRN wrote:

@qualitygal, I have been giving this a lot of thought the last few days. I've considered things that changed after events like 9/11 and the Boston marathon. Some of the things that changed initially later seemed to go by the wayside. JMO, I many be wrong. 

@RetRN 

I agree .... it might change for a small time period like after 911 or Boston Marathon (perhaps folks will be more diligent about hand washing and cleaning) ....but then it will be back to "normal"..... Think of those poor people still struggling from the tornado in Tennessee its a double whammy for them, and they probably need even more help, but you dont hear much about that anymore...and cities just dont miraculously recover overnight either more like a couple years if at all.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Right now, I'm just working to make sure I make it to "all over with".

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Well I wonder - if it turns out that many less than died in the H1N1 emergency die in this one - if there will be any consequences to those who created the panic.

I think this has to be looked at in just the opposite way.

I'm hoping we can say that All the measures taken probably avoided a huge number of illnesses, serious illnesses and deaths. 

In reality, this country is full of people who don't prepare enough, which then leads to panic. Both individuals, and agencies at all levels.

When I look at what happened in China, and now in parts of Europe, I don't see how we could be too aggressive with this. 

Regular Contributor

Some minister this morning said this is China trying to become a super power and get to make and sell all the new medicines being made to cure this virus..Hopefully they would not invent this virus to kill their own people just to get stronger..makes me sick to think...

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Well I wonder - if it turns out that many less than died in the H1N1 emergency die in this one - if there will be any consequences to those who created the panic.

@Isobel Archer 

And with H1N1 (Swine flu from 2009)...it started in April and initiatives didnt even get started until October and sadly many died....so perhaps these sacrificies now will benefit all of us in the long run....  The U.S. recovered and praying we will get by this virus too....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@jpie wrote:

I stopped going to the gym (after Tuesday), which I normally do five days a week.  So many inconsiderate people do not wipe down the equipment after use. Rather than get stressed about wiping down before and after getting on a machine, I am opting to work out at home.

I was stocked well with household essentials and food before there was a rush in the St. Louis metro area this past week.  I don't plan on going anywhere until I have to.

I had to stop helping an elderly neighbor in assisted living this past week for obvious reasons.  Luckily this past week, I made sure he had his medications, tax appointment completed and signed off on too!  He also wanted me to get batteries in four of his watches.  I did this on Friday for him.  I miss him dearly!  

THis is going to be so hard on people in care facilities. Those that are used to having contact with family and friends are going to be so lonely and I'm sure feel great stress with all that is going on. 

I have wondered if a lot of people who were able and had somewhere to go, have left facilities and gone home with family until this is over. 

@Mominohio   The people in Kirkland WA were not sent home or to family. Families couldn't care for them to begin with and now maybe carriers, well....Hospitals couldn't take the chance either of infecting staff or taking up beds of incoming new cases. Very sad.  

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I anticipate that happening later this year.

Honored Contributor

@MaeE wrote:

Some minister this morning said this is China trying to become a super power and get to make and sell all the new medicines being made to cure this virus..Hopefully they would not invent this virus to kill their own people just to get stronger..makes me sick to think...

@MaeE   No, I don't believe that nor would I continue to spread that gossip.

Trusted Contributor

Doorknobs.  I've dusted and polished, but I never sanitized them before.  Once a day I sanitize my doorknobs now.