Honored Contributor

Re: When this (virus) and all is all over with, I wonder what the discussions will be like.

@Shanus wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@jpie wrote:

I stopped going to the gym (after Tuesday), which I normally do five days a week.  So many inconsiderate people do not wipe down the equipment after use. Rather than get stressed about wiping down before and after getting on a machine, I am opting to work out at home.

I was stocked well with household essentials and food before there was a rush in the St. Louis metro area this past week.  I don't plan on going anywhere until I have to.

I had to stop helping an elderly neighbor in assisted living this past week for obvious reasons.  Luckily this past week, I made sure he had his medications, tax appointment completed and signed off on too!  He also wanted me to get batteries in four of his watches.  I did this on Friday for him.  I miss him dearly!  

THis is going to be so hard on people in care facilities. Those that are used to having contact with family and friends are going to be so lonely and I'm sure feel great stress with all that is going on. 

I have wondered if a lot of people who were able and had somewhere to go, have left facilities and gone home with family until this is over. 

@Mominohio   The people in Kirkland WA were not sent home or to family. Families couldn't care for them to begin with and now maybe carriers, well....Hospitals couldn't take the chance either of infecting staff or taking up beds of incoming new cases. Very sad.  

@Shanus 

I'm not talking about places with actual outbreaks already. 

Many people are in care facilities but indeed could be cared for in a family member's home, if need be prior to this spread. I thought weeks ago when this first started, about different members of my family that in the past, were in nursing homes or similar places, and some of them could easily have come home during this, meaning they could be cared for short term by family before they or anyone was infected. 

I'm guessing in the last month, some people have in fact done this, before the lockdowns started. 

Respected Contributor

Re: When this (virus) and all is all over with, I wonder what the discussions will be like.

After this virus has stopped spreading, I hope people will not be such germophobes that they mess with their own natural resistance by over killing bacteria.  It is said we should eat dirt to strengthen our resistance.  I'm not ready to do that but it makes sense, not specific to this virus. 

Honored Contributor

No, I haven't. First things first which is getting through this safely every day.
Honored Contributor

I feel like how I felt with 9-11.  Something you just thought you saw in horror movies... not reality... Istill feel  like it is a kind of a dream... until I turn on the news.  Really nothing  has changed other than the bad news. 

When the news is off and I am on my dog walk... I can pretend it is all just a bad dream.

Honored Contributor

I will never look at a toilet paper display the same way again, and I'll never take it for granted.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just more handwashing, table wiping at restaurants, cleaning personal cell phone, doorknobs, light switches and keyboards. I'll go forward doing a better job in general. When I go back to flying I'll be the person who wipes down tray table, hardware on safety belt, luggage handles, etc. I'm much more aware now. I've never been a 'hug everyone you know' person and I'll continue that action.

Another 'takeaway' is observations of people who opt to spiral and freak out because change and fear is their personal struggle. Truly, they're being challenged. And we've seen the 'add insult to injury' political soldiers who can't stop blaming leaders. On the other side, there are political creatures who who think it's their personal goal to make sure their political party gets zero blame for any errors -- and they'll fight you if you have a difference of opinion.

Thankfully, the majority of people are well-informed and reasonable folks. The spotlight is shining on all of us. There are a few faculty / cohorts at my campus I will not view the same again after observing their behavior last week. Sad for them.      

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

A friend who stocks shelves at the local Walmart said that a customer asked about the store closing to customers overnight.  She told them corporate determined that it would be easier to keep the store sanitary and better-stocked without customers present.  The customer said that he heard on a news network that it was because customer traffic had diminished.  Misinformation is still in plentiful supply. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think most people will return to how they lived their lives. I have noticed for a long time ,people do not carry wipes,and clean their hands before they eat out.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I've seen that experts, or the lack of them, can make or break entire countries. And I've seen that individuals, through shortsighted selfishness, can cause people to die. I've never had these things right in front of my face so starkly before. Can't say I want this lesson. But I won't forget it.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr