Honored Contributor

When it rains...

[ Edited ]

I swear....

We bought a new refrigerator in July because our old one was showing signs of trouble. 

Then, the very next day we had to call a plumber and then a contractor because our master shower leaked into our garage. 65 days and many dollars later we had a new shower, toilet and all new tile. Oh, and a partially new garage ceiling. 

Our dishwasher died in November so we bought a new one. 

In December, one of the knobs on our stovetop broke so we had to have it replaced. We ordered a spare because apparently the part is just about obsolete.

On January 3rd, I had to have an emergency crown replacement because my old crown broke and the broken piece impaled itself into my gum. Good times. 

We went to the eye doctor in December and we both needed new glasses. Mine are very very costly, even with insurance and I always get a spare pair, using an old frame, because I am totally dependent on my glasses. 

This morning, the hot water heater died and it’s being replaced as we speak. 

Yowza. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh

You win the Murphy's law award

Related image

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh, yep - that's the way it happens around here too.  The minute we have to spend lots of $ for one appliance or repair, we know to keep the wallet open because there will be more flying out and all we will be left with is dust.

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh ...

Gilda Radner comes to mind ... 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh   MY GOODNESS!   

Valued Contributor

OMG how awful! 

Almost 2 years ago the same thing happened with my upstairs shower.  I noticed the garage ceiling bubbling & it was wet, so had to have the shower re-done.  It came out beautifully, got new tile & a frameless glass door.  The glass is a pain to keep clean though because I have such hard water.

A few months before that the plumbing pipes out front cracked & had to be replaced. We couldn't use the water at all for 2 days so had to stay at a hotel with my 3 dogs! Fortunately they didn't have to dig up the driveway. 

My roof doesn't leak but it's going on 30 years old so I really should get a new one.  And my son noticed termite droppings so that should be checked out.

The washer & dryer are old but fingers crossed they will last for a while longer.

The water heater rattles a lot because of mineral deposits banging around, but it's going on 7 years old so it's not that old.

It's always something!

Respected Contributor

I feel your pain. A couple weeks before Christmas 2017, my water heater went and needed replacing. A couple days before Christmas 2017, my furnace started acting up and kept quitting so 2 days after it needed replacing along with the A.C. unit. In June 2018, my bedroom roof had a leak and thankfully it wasn't major but a vent for the bathroom plumbing needed replacing as it was rusting out. I had both done just in case. Since I'm in a town house, I talked to 2 neighbors, they had there's done and we got a lower price. I'm just glad the roof guy was honest and didn't tell me I needed a new roof  as I wouldn't have know the difference. Anyhow, good luck to you in 2019.

Honored Contributor

Oh, and I forgot!  Also in July, we had a water stain on our laundry room wall (2nd floor). Turns out something had chewed a hole in the dryer vent on the roof so we had to replaced the dryer vent.  We bought a metal one. $485. 

Honored Contributor

Re: When it rains...

[ Edited ]

When I walk by our 15 year old oven, stovetop, microwave, dryer and our 13 year old washer, I just about double d dog dare them. 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh,

Buy a lottery ticket; your luck has to change one of these days!