Honored Contributor

Christine McGuire, Eldest of the Singing McGuire Sisters, Has Died

She was 92 years old.  Only sister Phyllis is still living.  Our parents had the Andrews Sisters, but our generation had the McGuire Sisters.  For some reason, I always felt that through the years the McGuire Sisters were always treated with great respect by the Las Vegas crowd, as they performed there often and Christine did live there.  To my mind, Sinatra and his raunchy cronies always treated the "girls" with great respect.

The McGuire Sisters in 1953. From left, Christine, Phyllis and Dorothy. Fashion-conscious Christine chose the sisters’ matching wardrobes. Phyllis is the sole remaining sister.CreditCreditAssociated Press

Honored Contributor

Re: Christine McGuire, Eldest of the Singing McGuire Sisters, Has Died

Gosh that is a blast from the past. My mom watched Arthur Godfrey ,and they were regulars on that program

Valued Contributor

wow  i remember them   time sure does pass

Honored Contributor

Christine McGuire,

https://theartmad.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Rest-In-Peace-Candle-1.gif

Honored Contributor

One of their biggest hits -- :"Sincerely"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FFUeGB_Bbo

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the info.  I didn't see anything about this mentioned on the news or on my newsfeed on Facebook. I'm surprised nothing was posted anywhere. 

I remember watching them on the oldies shows on PBS.  They reunited just for that I heard.

Honored Contributor

Always a fave on Ed Sullivan.

Respected Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

She was 92 years old.  Only sister Phyllis is still living.  Our parents had the Andrews Sisters, but our generation had the McGuire Sisters.  For some reason, I always felt that through the years the McGuire Sisters were always treated with great respect by the Las Vegas crowd, as they performed there often and Christine did live there.  To my mind, Sinatra and his raunchy cronies always treated the "girls" with great respect.

The McGuire Sisters in 1953. From left, Christine, Phyllis and Dorothy. Fashion-conscious Christine chose the sisters’ matching wardrobes. Phyllis is the sole remaining sister.CreditCreditAssociated Press

Goldie 76:  I remember as a kid watching them with my mother, they were wonderful.  As far as getting "respect" that was  given as Phyllis was the girlfriend of Sam Giancarlo (sp?) who was the "Boss" in Chicago.  I remember seeing a photo of her home in Las Vegas, which he bought her, and it had a replica of the Eiffel Tower right in her massive living room.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Holy moley, loveour4!  I had completely forgotten about all that!

Well, now I understand why my residual feeling was that they were "respected."

And wasn't Sam Giancana the guy who had Judith Campbell Exner as his mistress?  She also "dated" JFK.

Honored Contributor

I really liked Vegas in the mob days.  There was a flight that went from Orange County Airport (now John Wayne Airport) at 7 pm and came back at 11 pm - it was just a 45 minute flight so you could go to see a show and come back to go to work the next day!  Even saw the Rat Pack a couple times.  On the strip everyone used to be dressed up - they used to say no polyester on the strip as a joke.  Boy has it changed.