Honored Contributor

I don't remember using sunscreen, well i looked it up,it was not invented until late 1960's, that is when i remember using it sometimes, no wonder there is so much skin cancer in us older people.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

My fair Irish skin could never take much sun, although I longed for a beautiful tan.  But most of my darker skin friends used a combo of baby oil and iodine to help them tan.  For me, it was 15 minutes in the sun and then a hearty coating of Noxzema - the only treatment recommended for sunburn in my days. Actually I love the stuff - still use it as a cleanser and never had a zit.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest   I first saw the ocean in my 22nd summer and had no idea how dangerous the beach sun could be at that time.  Worst sunburn ever!  And, yes, we never heard of sunscreen until some years after that. 

Sunscreen is only one of the important happenings in the 1960's.  Ironic how something seemingly so small compared to other things turns out to be so life-changing.

Honored Contributor

We did the baby oil and iodine when I was a teen.  My best friend took an empty bottle of a pump type hairspray and put some in that to spray instead of pouring out of the baby oil bottle.  Good ideal until her Mom came in her bedroom early one morning while she was sleeping to borrow my friend's "hairspray" since she herself was out.

A couple hours later her Mom was demanding to know what was in there since she looked like she had not washed her hair in a month.  We all laughed so hard and all told our own Moms.   Can be dangerous to go into your teenage daughter's room.

Never did use sunscreen till I bought it for my son in the 80's.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Coppertone was invented and marketed in 1944, there were not as many variety's and no spfs, but it was for sale.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: When i was a kid

[ Edited ]

I know and have known thousands of people my age. Only 2 of them had skin cancer. 2 too many for sure but it is not a disease run rampant in the groups I have met and known.

I spent sun up to almost sun down during my many years of auto racing where there was no shade, as did many of those I have met. Of the 2 that suffered from skin cancer, 1 was a white collar worker that spent almost no time in the sun. The other guy was a co-worker that worked along side me inside a factory. His exposure to the sun was from his hobby, golf, and maybe mowing his lawn once a week.

While I do believe in sunscreen, I also am one that think many types of serious diseases come from genetic predisposition.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Sun screen is relatively new and knowledge about how harmful the sun is and the dangers of sunburns and sun exposure is relatively new too.  So, yes.  That's why there is so much skin cancer in older people.  I'm 56 and my mom was a fanactic about the sun.  We summered on Martha's Vineyard (when working class people could do that) and she was so strict about beach time.  She never went out during the mid day hours and we could only go to the beach very early in the morning or after the sun went down.  But, she wasn't concerned with skin cancer.  I don't think she made that connection.  She just abhored that  brown spotted "leather" skin that sun worshippers tend to get.  Especially people who boat.  She knew that sun damage was accumulative.  I remember wanting so badly to lay out on the beach on a towel for hours and "tan" like my friends did.  But....no, that was not allowed.  Now, I am so very grateful that I had a mom like that.  I raised my own girls the same way. 

Honored Contributor

@hckynut  I don't have enough fingers to count the friends I know who have had skin cancer.    Maybe that's because for most of my adult life I've been on Long Island or in southern FL, or as goldenrbest mentioned that we all were children before sunscreen came onto the markets.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Coppertone was invented and marketed in 1944, there were not as many variety's and no spfs, but it was for sale.

These were suntan lotions - they helped you get a tan.No SPF.

Honored Contributor

Back in those days the ozone later had not been d3estroyed and the sun was not as severe as it is now.