Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I get my vibes from the eyes.  I sense goodness, peace, fear, pain, weariness, but occasionally I run across people who have an evil look in their eyes that frightens me.   

@RedTop....thanks for posting this.....I feel the same way.  A person's eyes can tell a lot.  I feel uncomfortable when a person I am talking with can't look me in my eyes.....

Honored Contributor

Ah, no. I wouldn't trust the person who would make a judgement of trust from a photo of someone.

Respected Contributor

I could not make that kind of judgment just by looking at someone.  Especially just a photo. Ted Bundy looked like a perfectly normal person.  

I also don't judge people by whether they look me in the eye. Many cultures find it rude. Extremely shy people are uncomfortable with it. People on the spectrum often can't do it.

I wait for behaviors and interaction before I make a decision.

Honored Contributor

I can sometimes detect an arrogant smirk on someone's face, either in person or from a photo. Ultimately, I'm usually proven correct.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

trust to me is something you learn over time by behavior.

Trusted Contributor

Nope, not me !

Honored Contributor

Re: When Looking at a face,

[ Edited ]

NO!  Using just a photo or in person a face, is definitely insufficient information to pass judgement!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

If I could do that I wouldn't have 2 ex husbands.

Honored Contributor

From Boston.com:

Image result for trust a face

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Re: When Looking at a face,

[ Edited ]

I do not subscribe to the theory that eye contact always means untrustworthy.  Some people are shy, some of it is cultural, and some may have been brought up in a subservient manner.

It very well may be encoded in our DNA from ancient times to mistrust people from other clans who do not look like us, too.  Clans varied in looks across the ancient landscape and those looks could have been used to determine friend or foe.

Should we automatically assume trust by a face?  Is everyone comfortable with a face that looks unhappy, doesn't smile, resembles Manson (!) or any other characteristic?

Interesting points for discussion.  It's easy to say we have to learn to trust people, that it has to be earned, but maybe the word "trust" is being overused here.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh