Esteemed Contributor

@ShowMe wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

I get my vibes from the eyes.  I sense goodness, peace, fear, pain, weariness, but occasionally I run across people who have an evil look in their eyes that frightens me.   

@RedTop....thanks for posting this.....I feel the same way.  A person's eyes can tell a lot.  I feel uncomfortable when a person I am talking with can't look me in my eyes.....

That's a completely illogical leap.

You have no idea why someone is having trouble making eye contact with you. 

I worked for ages with people receiving treatment for physical, emotional, psychological issues who often avoided eye contact. Victims of many types of abuse may habitually avoid eye contact.

This has absolutely no correlation to their trustworthiness. If fact, it may be an indication they're feeling a lack of trust for you!

Honored Contributor

Re: When Looking at a face,

[ Edited ]

@x Hedge.......I worked many years in the legal field....and there were many that were guilty and they couldn't look you in the eye.  That's what I was talking about.  Not those with physical, physhologial or emotional problems......   sorry about that.

Honored Contributor

Prolonged eye contact can also be construed as aggressive, too. 

Eye contact while listening to a person can indicate interest in what the person has to say vs. looking around the room while the other is speaking-that's a given.

But a person can maintain eye contact while other facial expressions can indicate disagreement or even amusement  while not saying a word.

It comes down to what one perceives as trustworthy; a person could be Mother Theresa but will be assumed to be sneaky or a liar or not trustworthy-whatever-just because complete eye contact is not made.

Sometimes all it takes for somebody's mouth to open more that where the eyes are forcused.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Ted Bundy literally got away with murder just by his looks....people saw him as attractive and trusting.

I think innately as humans, we make judgements about people on a first look.... on appearances. 

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I get my vibes from the eyes.  I sense goodness, peace, fear, pain, weariness, but occasionally I run across people who have an evil look in their eyes that frightens me.   

@RedTop I agree, I've got to  look into those eyes -- in person!!

Respected Contributor

My answer is you can't judge a book by its cover. I apply that principle to judging trustworthiness by merely looking at a face. No can do and not wise.

Esteemed Contributor

No. I’m a good judge of people but need to interact with them or atleast watch how they interact with others.

Respected Contributor

I couldn't, Showme.  I go by reactions, eye contact. and smiles.

Honored Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

I couldn't, Showme.  I go by reactions, eye contact. and smiles.

@Burnsite.....I consider eye contact being able to look a person in the eye.....also agree, smile.....as long as it's a smile and not a smirkey smile.  

Esteemed Contributor

With me it isn't just eye contact, it is the overall demeanor.  Some people just throw off a bad vibe and I'll pick it up.  I have met people who I just knew were trouble, one being my daughter's ex-husband.  The first time she brought him to my house to introduce us I told her to stay away from him because he is evil and trouble.  She didn't listen and she found out after marrying him and having a child that I was 100 % right .

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam