Respected Contributor

My doctor's nurse, got an prior authorization for an extremely hard to get medical autho. for me out of the kindness of her heart. I didn't even know she was doing it.  It's usually  a three or four step process because of appeals. The girls in the office have tried before but to no avail and they gave up. I know how hard the Insurance companies can be because I managed a doctor's office for 18 years. The medication can only be bought directly from the company. It can't be bought through any pharmacy. The cost, $1755.00 self pay. After the autho, I got it for $500.00 about 2 months ago and now I am in the catastrophic coverage stage and I get it for under $100.00. I get it 4 times a year. The medication has changed my life. Dealing with Insurance, is not her job at all! 

I don't know her personally so I'm lost, as to what to get her for a thank you. She's saved me thousands a year for this year and next. I thought I would get her either a Visa or Amex Gift Card but how much do I put on it? I thought maybe $500.00 or more. I called immediately when I found out and thanked her. If I could find out her favorite restaurant, I would get her gift card for that but no one knows and they don't want to ask her. She's the head honcho and I think they're a little afraid of her.

If you have any other suggestions,  please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Have a great weekend!

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Esteemed Contributor

How kind of you for even thinking of gifting her!!!  Very few patients ever express their gratitude.

I would write a lovely thank you card to her and also let her employers know about her efforts to help you.  As for a gift, better check to see if her employers would allow that.  Unfortunately, some of them don't. However, a beautiful floral arrangement would be lovely!  

Again, I think it is so nice of you to show your appreciation.  You are a lovely person!

Esteemed Contributor

I think you need to re-think the thank you gift.  Obviously she went out of her way to help you & you appreciate it; but----a huge $$ amount just isn't appropriate.  First - she probably would refuse it and you would be confused and embarrassed to be refused. .  How about sending her a nice dish garden from a A+++ florist?  She could take it home or keep at the office.

Respected Contributor

Re: Gifting Help Please

[ Edited ]

If her office would allow you to give her a gift card, I would enclose it in a nice card, along with a pretty floral arrangement.  Also, i think $50 would be appropriate.  That was very kind of her to do that for you. 

Honored Contributor

I think she may be able to accept a monetary gift if she's working for a private doctor and he allows it. That being said, I doubt if she would accept that kind of a gift as a thank you. I would buy gift cards for coffee for all the nurses and let it go at that, you don't want to start a rivalry in that office.

Respected Contributor

@CoquilleI would send a large fruit and cheese basket to the office. Then everyone could enjoy it.

Respected Contributor

@Coquille

I had a similar experience and I took a plant to the doctor's office and gave to the nurse.  I thought that would be good since something large would be too overly done.  You don' want to be rejected and embarrassed.  Nor do you want to embarrass her.

Esteemed Contributor

I would bring something into the office like a fancy fruit basket or a tray of fancy bakery cookies.Don’t give her a gift card because you may put her in an awkward position.

Honored Contributor

@grandma r wrote:

How kind of you for even thinking of gifting her!!!  Very few patients ever express their gratitude.

I would write a lovely thank you card to her and also let her employers know about her efforts to help you.  As for a gift, better check to see if her employers would allow that.  Unfortunately, some of them don't. However, a beautiful floral arrangement would be lovely!  

Again, I think it is so nice of you to show your appreciation.  You are a lovely person!

I agree with @grandma r.  I would also suggest that you use https://www.healthgrades.com/ or your insurance company's website to leave a favorable review about your doctor's staff and their willingness to go above and beyond for your care.  

Respected Contributor

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I know the doctor for 35 years and he does allow gifts. To see him, one has to wait 2-3 hours. I know, I know that's ridiculous but that's a fact. I usually wait about 45 minutes if that and that is because of her. It's his huge  practice and she's his nurse aside from being in charge of other aspects of the practice.. She recently told me to let her know as soon as I come into the office. It could be professional courtesy, I don't know.

Working for a doctor's office is usually a thankless job in many respects. The entire staff in any doctor's office, really deserve kudos!  Anyone working in the medical field in any job,deserves kudos. That's just my opinion. There are soo many people and soo little time to see everyone.

Thanks again, everyone. Great suggestions.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.