Respected Contributor

Re: When Drs gave a shot if you were sick in the 50s and 60s..

I didn't think there was such a thing as a "polio shot," but I did a search and there is a polio shot.  I remember getting the polio vaccine orally, in a sugar cube.

Honored Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

I didn't think there was such a thing as a "polio shot," but I did a search and there is a polio shot.  I remember getting the polio vaccine orally, in a sugar cube.

You must be a young 'un.  We children of the 1950's received  a series of polio shots. When I was in high school, we received the sugar cubes.  The shots were Salk vaccine and the sugar cubes were Sabin.

Esteemed Contributor

Growing up in the 50's and 60's I remember our doctor coming to the house and getting those shots.   My mother would be straightening up the house and I would be in bed dreading his visit.  Those shots did work fast - felt better right away.

Anyone remember getting the polio vaccine in the sugar cube? The school nurse gave it to us.

Esteemed Contributor

Antibiotics

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

You must be a young 'un.  We children of the 1950's received  a series of polio shots. When I was in high school, we received the sugar cubes.  The shots were Salk vaccine and the sugar cubes were Sabin.

I am another one that had the polio shot.  I still remember it.  That needle looked so darn big..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

We lived in Public Housing Projects and doctors must have been afraid to come there. We got them in his office and I don't remember any that were not given in my arm, vaccinations and all. Those however were given me in the 1940's.

Joined US Army in 1950's and all my shots were given in the arm. The only ones I ever remember given "in the hip, not bum", were in the ER for my many times broken nose/fractured ribs separated shoulder. Some were Demerol and others were???

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

-------------------------

When polio vaccine was first being given, it was an injection.  When I was in the 8th grade, we were all lined up down the hallway of the school and with great trepidation entered this room one by one where we were given the polio vaccine injection.

I can remember the joy and tears my parents felt when Dr. Salk's vaccine was approved.

Polio was a parents worse fear for their children.

Super Contributor

I have one vivid memory of the doctor coming to our apartment when I was ill.  I was seated on our living room couch and as he prepared to give me a shot I quickly started climbing up the back of the couch to escape!  I was quickly laid flat and received the shot Smiley Sad

I remember the polio shots given in schools.  My brother, who was a few years older than me, was part of a trial in the school for the polio shot.  We later found out he had been given a placebo.

Honored Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

I remember the doctor home visits.  

the doctor we went too would give us shots but can't remember  if it was for being really sick or just for a sniffle. i know i was getting many shots growing up for horrible ear infections i had till i had my tonsills out in 2nd grade.

i do remember that he told my parents i was on the pill before i got married.. that was so very many years ago when the pill was concidered taboo.

If you were over 18 and on the pill, your doctor violated doctor patient confidentiality (if he was the one who prescribed them to you) (and if he didn't prescribe them, that is also violating confidentialityif you shared that info with him) by telling your parents you were on the pill!!

SMH that that kind of behavior was acceptable. I would have switched doctors if any doctor shared medical information with ANYONE without my permission to do so!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Penicillin was often injected into muscle back in the day--hence the use of the buttocks as an injection site.

I got very few shots as a kid, as my dad was a doctor and was cautious about using antibiotics for illnesses that were probably viral.  I remember a few of the intramuscular shots though, and they really did hurt.