Respected Contributor

Re: When Does the Victim Have Rights?

@wismiss , I'm sending my deepest condolences to you in your loss. This happens way too often, criminals being released without having to pay for their crimes and to go out and repeat them over and over. I don't think victims have rights at all. I hope you can get closure in some way. Sending you every ounce of strength I can.

Honored Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

My ex was killed in a front end auto accident on October 29, 2021, by an uninsured person driving on a suspended license.  The other man was driving someone else's 20 year old SUV.  My ex had a 2009 Camry Hybrid.  I didn't know this but the car had a "black box" (like jet airplanes) and they had to get permission to open it, which I gave them.  The State Police reconstruction report says that my ex was 0% negligent.  He was not contributorily negligent in any manner, yet THIS PERSON HAS NOT SPENT ONE MINUTE IN JAIL YET.  This person has had 42 charges of various kinds since 2005 and has been found guilty of only 16 of the charges.  For all I know, he is probably out there driving around.  He was to have a jury trial (with a public defender) but the day before the trial he employed his own private attorney, so they continued his case until December so the new attorney could become familiar with the case.  

I'm enraged.  This man killed someone and it will be fifteen months (unless he can figure out some way to get his trial continued again) before he has to answer for what he did.

When do victims get their rights?  This is so difficult for all of who cared about the victim and we need closure.

@wismiss 

Wow ... so sorry for your loss.  Heart

I haven't read every single post, but ....  Have you called and spoken with the DA in charge of this case?    If so, what have you been told?

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Violent criminals are being released all the time.  Victims have no rights.  That is because we are a progressive nation Smiley Frustrated

@CrazyDaisy Unfortunately sometimes the criminal becomes the "victim" then has all the rights.  We seethat too.  

Honored Contributor

@wismiss I am so very sorry for you.  And yes, you should be outraged--as should we all!  I hope you find peace and justice in the days ahead.  

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

Oakland had another shooting yesterday. This time a school.

Was not kids, but adults.  Oakland and San Francisco was are the cities I grow up.

A counsilman said the same thing.  My grandmother and I would go to Oakland from SF on the train. Leave Oakland at midnight, we were visiting relativies and no one bothered us.

It's so gang related now.

Don't know the reason for the shooting yet. Nine homicides in Oakland in one week.

Esteemed Contributor

My initial thoughts about the nature of this thread have proven accurate.  Oh well..........

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Frequent Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

My initial thoughts about the nature of this thread have proven accurate.  Oh well..........

What does this mean?