Respected Contributor

Re: When Does the Victim Have Rights?

@wismiss, sorry for your loss. Obviously it's still raw. I don't think there is such a thing as closure. Time just puts a scar over the wound. And the concept of justice is an ideal that seems seldom achieved. 

And your correct, defendant avail themselves of all the legal maneuverings possible. Delay, delay, delay hoping witnesses tire and fail to show after their third appearence, or their memory fades, or hoping something happens to evidence. Things do seem to favor the defendants. The system can seem flawed. But it's still far better than other parts of the world, and hopefully will get better. I think the legal system in most communities is only as good as their District Attorney and judges of that community. Sometimes it seems things are swinging too far in one direction, but I believe that as with most pendulums things eventually achieve a level.

One would hope that when this defendant is found guilty, all his past criminal record is taken into consideration during his sentencing and no leeway is given.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Janey2 wrote:

There are so many injustices going on right now. A 41 year old killed an 18 year old two weeks ago because he decided he did not like his POLITICS. The 41 year old is walking around, not even in jail. So many incidences like this happening in our backyards. 
sorry for your loss, but unfortuneatly you are not the only one.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wismiss- Again sorry for your loss.  It would appear the prep is out on bail pending his next court hearing. A new attorney can ask for a continuance.

It does seem unfair to those who have lost a loved one.  But, this is how the judicial system work.

Justice for your ex will be served.

Respected Contributor

@wismiss i am so sorry for your anguish. This person's conviction will be your justice, but it wont be closure. Closure is a myth. I just want you to be aware of that so that you wont be disappointed when you dont feel closure at that time.  You dont get over a loss, you learn to live with it, rather. Bless you.

Trusted Contributor

@wismiss  Sorry for all your frustration. 

Our prosecuting attorney's office has a Victim Assistance Dept/Coordinator so I would contact your city/county's office & ask to speak to someone from that department & hopefully they can give you some assistance & ideas of what is going on as I remember they can be very helpful.

Respected Contributor

I am so sorry for OP's situation. This is a beat-down to live with for so long with no resolution yet.  Tihis criminal is a danger to society. I  pray OP gets the outcome she is looking for....throw away the key. 

Regular Contributor

I can give you a perspective from the other side.  We have a relative--involved with a gang member & she is a member too--who has killed 2 people. She is free. Killed 1 in a car accident and killed the other by selling a person laced drugs and they OD.  She should have been in jail for the car accident alone--she was sober but on her way to make a drug deal.  When she hit/killed the person, she threw her drugs out of the car. The reasons she was NOT charged for the car accident: 1) COVID-we can't have anyone in jail because they might get sick. We are sooo afraid of Covid...boo hoo. 2) The State did not feel they could "win" in court because they could not prove the drugs they found roadside were hers.  However, she still hit the man (not his car but HIM) and killed him.  To her credit , she did call 911 to get him help. We are still waiting to hear about the drugs she sold. Lots of politics involved that I can't get into here either.

Too many lazy, unprincipled and weak prosecutors but also, when you mix politics with anything you get politics. 

Needless to say, the whole family does not get together because of this individual and her baby daddy.  She sickens us and we won't have anything to do with her. No remorse, no changing of habits, no trying to make things right ( I know she can't make it right).  Also, family members are afraid of the gang.  They can/have committed a lot of crimes and go unpunished.  However, with that lifestyle, we don't expect them to live long. Just being honest.  

My sympathies to anyone who have been touched by any of these losers roaming free and the corrupt system. We are a lawless society. 

Esteemed Contributor

My heart goes out to you...i am so sorry.....the way this 

country is dealing with crime these days and the criminals

being processed and released is so wrong.  Lets hope soon our country will come to its sense and take the necessary steps to provide proper laws and lawmakers

Honored Contributor

I think the answer is the other driver has not been found guilty, that won't happen until he stands trial and that can take a long time, as you now know.  It's hard for the family and friends of victims but this our judicial system.  It can take years for a case like this to advance to trial which is part of the defense strategies.  Eventually thst person will pay for the life he took.

Honored Contributor

Im so sorry for your loss and offer heartfelt condolences...

What you described is a real problem here in Texas with drivers that have had their license suspended for DUIs or other issues....they just drive uninsured and with no license weighing the odds and thinking they wont get caught......Sadly, many innocent people have been severly injured or killed by these drivers....😥

One little girl is now paralyzed because of an unlicensed/uninsured drunk driver who was driving the wrong way on the express way.....so sad.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”