Honored Contributor

Re: When Does the Victim Have Rights?

@CrazyDaisy   currently a regressive nation.

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Violent criminals are being released all the time.  Victims have no rights.  That is because we are a progressive nation Smiley Frustrated

Honored Contributor

the process is not fast and it is not fair, in general.

my father and aunt were killed by a drunk driver and my mom was in and out of the hospital for a year.

the young man who killed them got 18 months in jail.... 

i am so very sorry for your loss and hope the outcome you desire is different from the one we received.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry for your loss. I too have remained good friends with an ex I parted company with in the 1980's....so I know how hard it must be for you.....

It IS sickening...

Here in my neck of the woods, (rural Western PA)we're waiting for the sentencing of a man who, in his full size van on a February 2021 evening, struck an Amish buggy from behind at high speed and kept on going.

Drove on home, where he told his wife he "thought" he might have hit an Amish buggy. She called the police, where they found him "drinking coffee". He was arrested.

We have Amish here.....this drunk was a local man who presumeably knows this.

Happened at about 630PM. The buggy had a rear light and the traingles in place. Witnesses coming from the other direction saw the buggy pull to the right to allow the van room to pass.

The van hit the rear of the buggy.

Killed the horse, destroyed the buggy, and the Amish driver suffered broken neck vertebrae and other injuries.

The mid 60's year old  guy who hit the buggy?

EIGHT previous DWIs.

EIGHT.

He's probably out driving this evening on the same road.

The sentence he can possibly get this time is measured in MONTHS, and he'll probably get time served if he's been in captivity since the accident. Article was not clear.

O well.

Gotta wait til he plows into a minivan full of kindgerfarten students I guess.

Then maybe he could look forward to a year or two in prison.

That it takes SO LONG for criminals to come to trial, much less justice, is what's ridiculous. Makes a mockery of justice.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry the world lost a good man. We need all the decent folks we can get. We can't afford to lose any of them, so I am sorry for your loss.

We're all equally privileged to be considered innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. This man had enough money to pay bail. That means he will be able to play the legal game. This is just the beginning of the delays.

It's creepy to see skeezy looking young men walking around with ankle monitors on them. I've seen more than I am comfortable with.

With all the terrible drivers out there, repeat traffic offenders, alcoholics, and people who can't afford or don't bother with car insurance, accidents like this are tragically common.

Legal delays are also commonplace. If the big shots get to use them to delay their trials, the regular folks do too. There are some big name individuals right now who are constantly delaying their date with justice. That's what lawyers do for their clients.

Justice delayed doesn't mean justice denied, necessarily. It's natural to be impatient, and I do sympathize, but really we are lucky to have a court system at all.

In many countries, your ex's family wouldn't be important or rich enough to get justice. Nothing would be done for them and they would be on their own to try to get some sort of blood revenge, if that is what they wanted.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@wismiss I am so sorry for what you are going through. Wish it were different.

BUT I learned years ago the victim has no rights.

Our car was totaled by and uninsured driver. He also had no license. His car hit our car right at my seat so I was a mess for over a month. He did not even get a ticket. The police said he did not see him driving so he just got to walk away. And walk away he did. He called a friend and left the car in the middle of the boulevard. We were left with a totaled t-boned car and an injured passenger. 

I was mugged walking home from the train station after work. The kid threw me into the street head first. Had to have my head sewn back together. A plastic surgeon had to sew my head and face back together. Since it was a plastic surgeon my medical insurance would not cover it. It cost me ALOT of money to get repaired. The police called once. It was 11:30PM. They wanted to know how to classify the incident. 

Please take it easy. It will be a long process.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I feel for you @wismiss. My nephew was killed by a drunk driver and his fiancé was in ICU for two weeks, missed the funeral. The lady had 9 prior DWI’s and had never spent any amount of time in jail for those occurrences. 

We waited 2 years, she got 8 years for my nephew and 8 for the fiancé but to run concurrently so really  she got 8 for both. They usually only serve half the time so she’ll probably be out on parole sometime this coming year.

Good luck, I hope you get some kind of Justice.

Update - My sister received a call from parole board and the lady was denied parole. They said with the high number of DWI's she doesn't show any remorse or any indication she wants to change.  She will be released in 2026 when she completes her full 8 years.

Honored Contributor

@wismiss   I also have no words for you except to extend my deepest sympathy for your loss.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@drizzellla   I am so sorry for what happened to you.  I cannot even being to imagine the suffering.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Legal delays are commonplace. If the big shots get to use them to delay their trials, the regular folks do too. There are some big name individuals right now who are constantly delaying their date with justice. That's what lawyers do for their clients.

Justice delayed doesn't mean justice denied, necessarily. It's natural to be impatient, but really we are lucky to have a court system at all. In many countries, your ex's family wouldn't be important or rich enough to get justice. Nothing would be done for them and they would be on their own to try to get some sort of revenge, if that is what they wanted.

I agree, also in this country most people aren't important or rich enough either to buy their way to justice and/or out of legal trouble.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Legal delays are commonplace. If the big shots get to use them to delay their trials, the regular folks do too. There are some big name individuals right now who are constantly delaying their date with justice. That's what lawyers do for their clients.

Justice delayed doesn't mean justice denied, necessarily. It's natural to be impatient, but really we are lucky to have a court system at all. In many countries, your ex's family wouldn't be important or rich enough to get justice. Nothing would be done for them and they would be on their own to try to get some sort of revenge, if that is what they wanted.

I agree, also in this country most people aren't important or rich enough either to buy their way to justice and/or out of legal trouble.

It helps to have lawyers that know how to get the delays.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr