Trusted Contributor

Re: Wheat prices expected to really go up from where they are now...

[ Edited ]

It seems our food supply is being hammered from every angle. We don't eat much bread, and I only buy a specific sourdough that I freeze anyway. It lasts longer since I only use it for toast. Cereal is already much higher so this will impact wheat cereals also. I noticed the cereal boxes are getting much smaller and the price is going up. Less for more. Smh

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

This will affect a lot of foods people buy sadly... The more affordable foods....

@SeaMaiden 

Yep!  And we get a lot of that wheat from?

hckynut   🇺🇸  🇺🇦

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Trading on the commodities market for wheat toďay was halted as the price skyrocketed.

Somehow we are being sold one crises after another so people panic buy everything from wheat to EV's.

Esteemed Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Trading on the commodities market for wheat toďay was halted as the price skyrocketed.

Somehow we are being sold one crises after another so people panic buy everything from wheat to EV's.

The Ukraine is a major exporter of wheat.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor

Flour can be stored for years if sealed in a dry cool place. Its a good idea to freeze the bags for a couple of days before putting away. I set some on our covered patio with below freezing temps last week. I noticed  Flour had increased at Sams. I prefer the unbleached for making bread.

The US wheat supply was down last year. Other issues will just accelerate the shortages and price increases. I heard a reporter on the news saying that more baking will be done in the kitchen because of the supply chain issues.

Floral Pillow
Honored Contributor

What's not going up in price? Is breathing and walking still free?

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

What's not going up in price? Is breathing and walking still free?

It is if you are in good health.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The weather, covid, flooding, freezes, shortage of farm workers have had a huge impact on cost of   food here.  We have begun  to feel the jhard impact from the covid pandemic.  The longer the pandemic lasted the more the shortages started to effect us.  Cost of food and gas didn't arise overnight,  here in California gas is 6.00-7.00@ gal   If we could buy gas for 4.75,which they say is National average ...we would be in heaven.   Gas has been rising here for 2 years  it was about 3 bux for along time, it slowly crept up   In the last week.   it shot from in the 4 dollar range to the 6 dollar plus.  Food had been rising since 2018.  Shortages started  with covid, eased a bit last fall and started  in declining after new year.  This has been coming.

here in California Govenor Newsom is going to put a measure to our congress to decrease gas prices by a temporary reduction of some existing taxes taxes on it.  Which shoukd lower price per gallon quite a bit   We will see.  It was on news today  i also read it in san Jose Mercury News.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Feel so sorry now for the farmers.  Bad things happen to them more than others it seems.  We need them!!!

Came back to say, I'm not eating bread products or baking the way I did once.  But I am a  bread lover, and wheat is needed for hops in beer, for those who like beer. I don't drink that.  

Honored Contributor

I don't know about wheat but I get really irritated when companies raise their prices saying it's about inflation when it's really about greed and making record profits. 

Let's see American corporations do the right thing for a change. Make a profit but stop the price gouging.