Respected Contributor
Suziepeach, some people are just toxic. Classless is correct. I think I would have said a few bad words too!
Trusted Contributor

I like what I see in my mirror, I think I look pretty good for my age. That said, I hate having my picture taken, I hate the way that I look in a photograph, I don't photograph well. 

Respected Contributor

Ugh!  

My dermatologist takes a photo before and after a procedure.  No expressions allowed, so no smiling.  I think I look horrible.  When I do my makeup, I tend to smile after I'm finished and I think I look good.  Smiles make the difference!  So just smile a lot! 😺

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

Ugh!  

My dermatologist takes a photo before and after a procedure.  No expressions allowed, so no smiling.  I think I look horrible.  When I do my makeup, I tend to smile after I'm finished and I think I look good.  Smiles make the difference!  So just smile a lot! 😺

@this is my nic  I am going to have a consult to veneers put on my front teeth. I hate to smile because I do not like how my teeth have aged.  I hope I can smile again with confidence 🙂

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

When my son was little I told him that I looked horrible in photos...in his sweetest voice he replied”no mom you don’t look any different than you always do”I know the answer to your question in photos as my mirror is much kinder.

Honored Contributor

At least I do not feel alone about hating photographs taken.....

QUESTION I Have for you now is:

how do you all feel about hearing yourself talk on a recording?  I HATE THE SOUND OF MY VOICE TOO,😄

Honored Contributor

Re: What you look like

[ Edited ]

..@Suziepeach one of the dearest ladies I ever knew ,told me that pretty comes from the inside. I think it does ,for she was beautiful everyone loved her and she had a million admirers

Respected Contributor

I think there are about six pictures total from my entire life so far that I didn’t cringe at. My DD and I had a portrait sitting many years ago, and we both hated the proofs and shredded them. So much is about lighting, angles, colors, etc. ....I don’t know, maybe it’s the heart shaped face that is photogenic? 

Respected Contributor

Personally, I think that how you look "live" to the world is how you look.  

Photos are not a good representation.  They are staged.  

Photos don't show your live smile, your live sparkling eyes, your gestures, your beautiful voice, the kind things you may be saying to someone, your intelligence, the way you are enjoying music, etc.

ALL of our personality traits put together are on full display when someone is seeing you "live," and that is the REAL YOU.

I know this for a fact, because my mom is one of the most beautiful women I have known in my life.  And photos never do her justice.

I experimented one time as we were sitting in a restaurant.  I was sitting across from her, and I thought she looked gorgeous.  So I help up my phone to take a picture, and the picture did not reflect her well at all.

Because, I think, as soon as she knew a picture was going to be taken, she froze.  

So my advice is, be who you are, be comfortable in your own skin, and you will be the most beautiful person in the world to anyone who is around you.

Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

At least I do not feel alone about hating photographs taken.....

QUESTION I Have for you now is:

how do you all feel about hearing yourself talk on a recording?  I HATE THE SOUND OF MY VOICE TOO,😄

I used to dislike the sound of my voice.  I have a very youngish voice...think Melanie Griffith in the movie "Working Girl."

But after college, one of my first jobs was working for an airline as a phone rep.  And I found that I got lots of compliments on my voice.

I started to feel that it was unique.

Over time, I changed my mind, and now I love my voice.

You should love your voice.  It's part of what makes you unique.  Be proud of it!!

Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero