Honored Contributor

Re: What would you do i f you were me?

My state has instituted employee protections for situations such as yours during the pandemic. I would call the office of your attorney general after the holiday and find out what protections you have.

Socialization and cookouts are not job requirements, I'm sure they're not listed in your official job description. I'm sure she would have no legal right to require that from you, especially with your health and family circumstances. You have legal rights of protection.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I would provide them with a very detailed letter from my doctor

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

The boss seems to be living in an alternate universe.  

Honored Contributor

@conlt    I would have my doctor prepare a statement to the effect that due to a number of on-going health factors (not too specific), he has advised you that you need to take extreme care in your contacts with other people and limit them to those who have been tested are are practicing social distancing.  Ask your doctor if he'd advise you to quit in lieu of accepting the conditions of employment and try to get him to put it in writing.

You can prepare your own statement on the condition of your brother and even possibly get a statement from his doctor.  He may have to request it.

Keep a journal of all dates and contacts on this issue and of course keep copies of your statements and any correspondence you receive.  Document phone conversations.

In the case you decide you must quit or are terminated, you'll need this for an Unemployment Insurance claim.

Good luck.  I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction.  I have a feeling you will.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

It sounds as though the new boss is thumbing her nose at and trying to show that she's in charge.  Speaks volumes that you think she thinks you are being "silly".

Hopefully, she will back off with her insistence that you come in.  If not, I agree with @Greeneyedlady21  that you should find out what your legal rights are in this.  You shouldn't have to give up your job over this.

Esteemed Contributor

I think you did the right thing by going over her head, and I hope the COO has more sense than your boss does. I feel you did what you had to do. We have to advocate for ourselves.

Before my dh was allowed to work from home, he sent his CEO and the site manager an email with his concerns and ended by asking them how they are going to feel if someone contacts covid and dies when they could have been doing their jobs from home. He did not get a reply from, but within 2 days, his boss gave the go a head for most folks in his dept to work from home. 

While he was still at work, the person in charge of their "covid response team" was heard by dh saying Covid is no more than the flu. Well, the flu kills many people every year.

I feel for you, I think there are many people in higher up positions who do not understand how serious Covid can be or they don't care, because they think nothing will happen to them if they do get it. I think anyone in a high risk group should automatically be allowed to work from home, if the job can be done from home. You can obviously do you job from home, makes me feel like your new boss is on a power trip. Someone needs to bring her back down to reality. I am sorry you are having to deal with this, because you have enough stress as it is. She should be ashamed, in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

I agree with other posters who say you should ask your Dr. to detail in a letter to your employer, why, in his medical opinion, you should not return to the office, due to your and your brother's serious medical conditions, that make you both at high risk to Covid.

No job is worth dying for.

And how would you safely socialize with other team members at a cookout?

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I totally agree that you should contact your doctor to obtain a statement that you should continue working from home. I would also certainly go over her head to the highest manager regarding your situation.  Don't let her bully you, best of luck to you and keep us informed.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been working at home since I was hired. The COO and the other founders of the company used to be coworkers of mine. We have a long history together. They know me. When I went to work for them, it was at home. I am not the only at home worker that that they have. The new boss is controlling, but I never expected this. I am thinking the higher ups are going to say let me stay home, and if so, you are right, the boss lady will have to get over it. 

I am most concerned about the small confined space that they work in. Honestly, I don't think that this is a time in our world history that we ought to be encouraging socialization in small places. 

Most likely, I will get my own office in the near future and will not be working for her. I run a team of home care nurses and therapists now but I do it from home. We go on zoom daily for our call and care coordination. It makes no sense for me to go to the office and do the exact same thing. 

They hired me so when they grow, I will change to a more upper management position. .Corona put a delay on that for now of course. 

I will get the doctors statement, those are excellent ideas. Thank you! 

Respected Contributor

Hello Halo,

You owe her no explanantion of your medical issues- that is private information.

Have your doctor send a note/email stating you have medical conditions that make you very high risk at being exposed to the virus and you need to stay at home.

Best of luck!!!