Respected Contributor

What would you do i f you were me?

I have been working at home since December 2019. All of my job functions are done at home.  When I was hired I was hired to work at home  We have others on our team that also work at home. Since then we have a new boss and she wants me to come to the office 1 X per week now because she want us to socialize and get to know our other team members. Our office if fairly small and those who are there have not been using precautions. They get on zoom sitting side by side with no masks on.

I asked for an exception because I am high risk for serious complications because of my age, I turn 62 in 4 weeks, my weight, I have hypertension, sleep apnea, and I have a hix of pulmonary issues and damage to my lungs from the year that we had the H1N1 flu and I became severely ill. I take an inhaler and medications for my lungs. 

She said that I to come in but she would put me in an office alone and anyone who came in would have to use masks. Of course I was very upset and I used to work with the COO, so I contacted her to see if I do have to go in. I am scared of contracting Covid 19. I am still waiting for an answer. I guess for me, I don't see the point in having us come in when we have been set-up to work at home from before covid-19.

I also take care of my brother who is very high risk and certainly would die if he gets Covid. He has had 6 strokes, hypertension and diabetes. We are just getting him on disability now.

I have not been to a store except I order online from Walmart and drive into their pick-up area and they put my things in my car. I have ordered food on QVC, which I never did before, and I order some things from Costco. I have kept my self social isolated and now I am scared to death of getting sick. 

I think the boss thinks that I am being silly, she wants to have a cookout, amid the covid. I am very uneasy about this and hope that in light of my co-morbities that they allow me to stay home. Now that I went over her head, I am sure she is angry with me, but at that point, I felt that I had no choice. 

Super Contributor

Re: What would you do i f you were me?

You need to do what is best for you and your brother.   You are in a high risk category and same for your brother.   You need to take care of yourself and your brother.  I know this is not easy but you need to take care of yourself and your brother.   Peace and blessings to you and your brother.   Tallgal

Honored Contributor

@conlt   I think you have legitimate reasons not to go in.  If the COO doesn't side with you, I think you should ask your doctor to write a note.  I hope it all works out for you.  Some people just don't understand the risks, and she is obviously one that takes them lightly, which is not a good thing.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Don't go. Allow her to be angry.

Irish Blessing
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far.
Honored Contributor

Without going into great detail, I would explain to my supervisor the medical issues which make it impossible for me to go to the office regardless of any precautions she may suggest.  You've been working from home since pre-virus so I see no need to change that now.  Good luck!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

You have to look out for number 1. No job is so important to risk getting sick and maybe losing a life. If they don't understand that I would seriously consider if I still want to work for them. I certainly would not be going to any cookout. I can get to know my coworkers just as well either long distance or in person. My theory is if it ain't broke don't fix it. You might have to get a doctors note excusing you from participating. Boss lady is just gonna have to get over it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@conlt Wait to hear from the COO. You may not need to worry. 

I think you have good arguments. If you have to "bite the bullet," it's one day a week.  The new information that the virus isn't easily spread on surfaces should alleviate some stress. 

IMO you can get to know your team members via zoom, etc. 

A cookout...what world does she live in?

Have you been there physically at all since you were hired?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If she's going to put you into an office alone what's the point of the weekly social?

Esteemed Contributor

Provide a letter from Doctor for your boss.  Now is not the time to do team building aka socializing in the office.  She's putting her employees at risk.

Respected Contributor

If you were hired to work from home, it seems they are now revising your employment contract.

It seems odd to do this now - and particularly to require you to attend a cookout.

Since you have voiced these concerns to the COO, you may get the answer you want.  If not, you may need additional assistance - either from HR or from an attorney.  I can't imagine their being legal with this  if the fact are as you state.