Honored Contributor

My granddaughters and I are going to New York first week of December.  Our hotel will be the Dominick.  It is near Soho, and Manhatten I think.  We are excited as we havent ever been to New York.. Anyone who has been there, or lives near there we could sure use some suggestions on things to do!  I have some questions as well....

Is it far to go to Statue of Liberty? Or

Central Park

any good museums near by?

thank you!  

Trusted Contributor

Re: What' to do in Manhatten?

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty wrote:

My granddaughters and I are going to New York first week of December.  Our hotel will be the Dominick.  It is near Soho, and Manhatten I think.  We are excited as we havent ever been to New York.. Anyone who has been there, or lives near there we could sure use some suggestions on things to do!  I have some questions as well....

Is it far to go to Statue of Liberty? Or

Central Park

any good museums near by?

thank you!  

SoHo is in Manhattan. It's the neighborhood on the South side of Houston Street to Canal (Chinatown).  North side is the Village. 

You're around 3 miles from Central Park.

You're at the southern end of the numbered streets -- just below 1st Street. Central Park is 59th Street.

20 North/South blocks = 1 mile

Each crosstown block is equal to approximately 3 N/S blocks

Get a MetroCard if you're not a walker. You can take buses or the train anywhere. There are cabs, Uber, Via.

Go to the museum websites to see what exhibits are going on while you're here (if you can only do 1 or 2, MoMA and/or Met):

MoMA is reopening this month (53rd Street between 5th & 6th Avenues). 

Whitney (closer to you - Gansevoort)

Rubin (closer to you - West 17th Street)

Metropolitan Museum (82nd Street & 5th Ave)

Museum of Natural History (79th Street & CPW)

MoMA is not far from Rockefeller Center,  St. Patrick's Cathedral, Saks, Cartier, etc., Plaza Hotel, Central Park (Central Park Zoo), Radio City,  City Center, Carnegie Hall. 

Balthazar Restaurant is on Spring Street.   Google it. 

Honored Contributor

@ILTH 

Thank you for you generous response!!  Thank you!  I am printing your suggestions, and going down the list.  I am a little disabled in the walking far dept, but it seems easy to get around by cab.  I am ver interested in Moma, too

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty 

https://www.nycgo.com

Native NYer. I'll be happy to answer any questions if I can.

ETA

Ed Sullivan Theater isn't far from MoMA. You can try for tickets for Colbert, if that interests you. 

Metropolitan Museum is fantastic. 

Cabs take credit cards. You don't need cash. If you get a jerk who claims his machine isn't working, say you don't have cash and won't pay.  His CC machine will, miraculously, suddenly, work.😃

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

HI,

ILTH GAVE YOU GREAT THINGS TO SEE WITH DIRECTIONS.

**** IMPORTANT -  MAKE RESERVATIONS AND OR BUY YOUR SHOW TICKETS BEFORE COMING TO NEW YORK.  EVERYTHING SELLS OUT DURING THE HOLIDAY SEASON IN NEW YORK, EVEN RESTAURANTS YOU  MAY WANT TO GO TO, AND CALL  AHEAD FOR HOURS AND PRICES...*****

CALL THE PLAZA HOTEL TO MAKE RESERVATIONS FOR TEA AT THE PALM COURT.   768  5TH AVE. IT IS PRICEY BUT WORTH IT, SHE WILL LOVE THE EXPERIENCE... YOU SHOULD CALL BEFORE COMING TO NEW YORK...

MAKE SURE TO GET TICKETS TO RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL -  CHRISTMAS SHOW  THEY HAVE SEVERAL SHOWS A DAY.   YOU WILL LOVE IT...  IT'S ON 

6TH AVE.  BETWEEN  50TH STREET AND  51ST. STREET.

CAN TAKE THE TRAIN THERE TAKE THE B, D, F, AND M  WILL TAKE

YOU TO -  47TH - 50TH STREET ROCKEFELLER CENTER TRAIN  STATION.

IF YOU TAKE A CAB MAKE SURE THEY DON'T. RIP YOU OFF, THEY ALL HAVE METERS...

ALSO WALK DOWN THE BLOCK TOWARDS 5TH AVE, TO THE  ROCKEFELLER

ICE SKATING RINK WHERE THE CHRISTMAS TREE IS YOU WON'T, WANT TO MISS IT!   THE NBC BUILDING IS RIGHT THERE  30 ROCKEFELLER CENTER.

JUST FOLLOW THE CROWD - THEY ALL WILL BE GOING TO THE TREE...

SAKS FIFTH AVE. IS RIGHT ACROSS FROM THE RINK YOU CAN SEE THE 

HOLIDAY WINDOWS ON 5TH AVE.

ST. PATRICKS CATHEDRAL  ALSO ON 5TH AVE. SAME SIDE OF THE STREET WITH SAKS FIFTH AVE. JUST CROSS THE STREET.  

MOMA IS ON 53RD STREET BETWEEN 5TH AND 6TH AVE.

IF YOU ARE TAKING A TRAIN THERE,   E  AND  M  TRAINS STOP THERE.

THERE ARE ALSO BUSES THAT  RUN THERE. 

THE DOMERICK HOTEL, WHICH IS A BEAUTIFUL HOTEL  WITH HUDSON RIVER  VIEWS, YOU WILL LOVE SPRING ST. TOO.  THE TRAIN IS ONE BLOCK

FROM YOUR HOTEL, YOU HAVE  THE  E AND C TRAIN  LINES THERE.    SO YOU HAVE  THE  E TRAIN LINE THAT WILL TAKE YOU TO MOST PLACES, JUST BE AWARE WHICH  DIRECTION YOU NEED,  UP TOWN  OR  DOWN TOWN. 

TO THE MID TOWN AREA YOU WOULD GO UP TOWN FROM  THE DOMERICK.

YOU MAY WANT TO TAKE A CAB IN THE EVENING, WOULD BE EASIER

TO GET BACK TO YOUR HOTEL FROM MIDTOWN AREA.

MOST TRAIN STATIONS HAVE  ESCALATORS TO MAKE IT EASIER

FOR YOU TO GO UP AND DOWN FROM THE TRAINS...

YOU WILL HAVE TO GO THROUGH METAL DETECTORS, ESPECIALLY DURING THE HOLIDAY SEASON AT THE CHURCH AND ALSO MUSEUMS.   THEY  MOSTLY  LOOK THROUGH YOUR BAGS,  SOME PLACES DO NOT ALLOW BACK PACKS,  JUST BE AWARE AND ASK QUESTIONS AT YOUR HOTEL 

CONCIERGE SERVICES DESK. 

MAKE SURE TO GO TO THE BROADWAY THEATRE DISTRICT AND SEE A SHOW WITH YOUR GRANDDAUGHTERS. BROADWAY AND TIMES SQUARE,

DEPENDING ON THE THEATRE  IT STRETCHES FROM WEST 42ND. ST. TO WEST 47TH STREET AND 50TH STREET TOO.

ALL THE ABOVE IS CONSIDERED MID-TOWN MANHATTAN..

WHERE MOST OF EVERYTHING TO DO.

MAKE SURE TO TAKE YOUR GRANDDAUGHTERS TO  

FAO  SCHWARTZ  -   CHECK THE ADDRESS  THEY HAVE MOVED

I THINK THEY ARE AT  -  30 ROCKEFELLER PLAZA

THERE IS USUALLY A BIG BEAR OUTSIDE...

BE SAFE AND WATCH YOUR BAGS AND CREDIT CARDS AND WHERE YOU USE THEM,  IT'S VERY BUSY DURING THE HOLIDAYS IN THE CITY... 

A LOT OF LARGE CROWDS SO KEEP THINGS AND YOUR GRANDDAUGHTERS

CLOSE.  HAVE FUN.

TO SEE THE STATUE OF LIBERTY

YOU HAVE TO GET TO  BATTERY  PARK TO GET THE  LIBERTY FERRY,

YOU BUY TICKETS THERE.

LOOK IT UP OR ASK YOUR HOTEL THE BEST WAY TO GET THERE, YOU MAY

HAVE TO TAKE MORE THEN ONE TRAIN AND ALSO THE WINTER HOURS...

I HOPE THIS HELPS..  IT DOESN'T. MATTER HOW OLD YOU ARE, ALL OF YOU WILL ENJOY ALL THE ABOVE MENTIONED,  NEW YORK IS MY HOME BORN AND RAISED AND I ENJOY IT ALL THE TIME. GREAT MEMORIES GROWING UP  AND I  STILL DO....

ENJOY..... MANHATTAN IS BEAUTIFUL DURING THE HOLIDAYS..

Respected Contributor

FIRST, you learn how to spell it:  MANHATTAN.

Then you just drink the city in, in large gulps.  

Honored Contributor

Nbc and Rock center tours and or Top of the Rock, well worth taking. 

NBC is the studio tour, and Rock Center is a tour of the wonderful Art Deco building and art deco sites.

well worth it,   I think you can book ahead

Eataly fun place to go

911 site 

Respected Contributor

Don’t forget to see at least one Broadway show. Get tickets now. You can get discount tickets at various websites.

Respected Contributor

We go to the city a lot and never have a lack of things to do or see.  We always see a show.

Fair warning!!!! Since you are going in Dec I would buy all the tickets you need or want in advance online.  You do not want to waste precious time waiting in lines.

Honored Contributor

if the weather is good

the High Line is worth checking out