Esteemed Contributor

Re: What' to do in Manhatten?

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

@ILTH 

Thank you for you generous response!!  Thank you!  I am printing your suggestions, and going down the list.  I am a little disabled in the walking far dept, but it seems easy to get around by cab.  I am ver interested in Moma, too

It's not always easy to get a cab at that time of year - It depends on where you are, how crowded, time of day, etc..  So allow yourself extra time as you go from place to place, especially if you have tickets for something with a speccific start time.  And taking cabs everywhere will be expensive, so take that into acccount too.

Shoekitty said

thanks for that advice!  I didnt think iabout it being harder to get a cab in NYC but , thinking about it now in the movies you always see people fighting over getting a cab, lol!  I was told it might cost 75-125 buck for cab from JFK to Dominick Hotel. Its only a 24 min ride. Off the top of my head without looking to check, I think it is 16 miles.  In Los angeles when we take uber for the same time it is about 36 bucks.  So I am planning on transportation to take a bit of Change.  

Well, it's not like in the movies!  I take cabs all the time, and I've never fought over one.  :-)  Usually it's not a big deal at all.  But it can be, depending on everything I mentioned above as well as the weather, which I forgot to mention.  Available cabs can be hard to find when it rains. 

If you're leaving from your hotel, the doorman should be able to get a cab for you.  Flagging them down on your own can be trickier.  I'm very good at doing that.  Wish I could help you!  :-)  Maybe you should consider taking buses part of the time too.  I think you said you have mobility issues, so subways might not be practical.  If you do stick to cabs, as long as you allow a lot of time (to get the cab and to allow for traffic), and as long as you're prepared for the expense, you'll be fine. 

Trusted Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

@ILTH 

Thank you for you generous response!!  Thank you!  I am printing your suggestions, and going down the list.  I am a little disabled in the walking far dept, but it seems easy to get around by cab.  I am ver interested in Moma, too

It's not always easy to get a cab at that time of year - It depends on where you are, how crowded, time of day, etc..  So allow yourself extra time as you go from place to place, especially if you have tickets for something with a speccific start time.  And taking cabs everywhere will be expensive, so take that into acccount too.

Shoekitty said

thanks for that advice!  I didnt think iabout it being harder to get a cab in NYC but , thinking about it now in the movies you always see people fighting over getting a cab, lol!  I was told it might cost 75-125 buck for cab from JFK to Dominick Hotel. Its only a 24 min ride. Off the top of my head without looking to check, I think it is 16 miles.  In Los angeles when we take uber for the same time it is about 36 bucks.  So I am planning on transportation to take a bit of Change.  

@shoekitty 

Please check out this website:

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/tlc/passengers/taxi-fare.page

It should be about $56 (for all 3 of you, not per person)

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYC Susan wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

@ILTH 

Shoekitty said

Well, it's not like in the movies!  I take cabs all the time, and I've never fought over one.  :-)  Usually it's not a big deal at all.  But it can be, depending on everything I mentioned above as well as the weather, which I forgot to mention.  Available cabs can be hard to find when it rains. 

If you're leaving from your hotel, the doorman should be able to get a cab for you.  Flagging them down on your own can be trickier.  I'm very good at doing that.  Wish I could help you!  :-)  Maybe you should consider taking buses part of the time too.  I think you said you have mobility issues, so subways might not be practical.  If you do stick to cabs, as long as you allow a lot of time (to get the cab and to allow for traffic), and as long as you're prepared for the expense, you'll be fine. 

@NYC Susan 

@shoekitty 

Fighting over cabs was a real thing in the 70s, 80s and before. 😃Not so much anymore with Uber, Via, etc. 

There's another thread about transportation in the City in the Travel Forum

Esteemed Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

@ILTH 

Shoekitty said

@NYC Susan 

@shoekitty 

Fighting over cabs was a real thing in the 70s. 😃Not so much anymore with Uber, Via, etc. 

I'm pretty sure I couldn't afford to take many cabs in the 70's.  :-)  So I guess I missed out on the fighting. 

I have shared cabs with other people, though.  Everything was very civil.  One cab, two strangers, and we decided to share rather than throw punches!  I guess if I was in a movie, it would have turned into a big scene.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@ILTH wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

@ILTH 

Shoekitty said

@NYC Susan 

@shoekitty 

Fighting over cabs was a real thing in the 70s. 😃Not so much anymore with Uber, Via, etc. 

I'm pretty sure I couldn't afford to take many cabs in the 70's.  :-)  So I guess I missed out on the fighting. 

I have shared cabs with other people, though.  Everything was very civil.  One cab, two strangers, and we decided to share rather than throw punches!  I guess if I was in a movie, it would have turned into a big scene.  Smiley Happy

I shared, too, often. But, yeah, there was a fair amount of Planes, Trains and Automobiles happening, too. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the 70s - I didn't take cabs but rode on the gritty graffitied subways

yes - it is a flat rate taking a cab from JFK into Manhattan 

cabs are everywhere - but you will end up in traffic and watch the meter go tick tick- as others mentioned  always leave yourself extra time for timed events -

you can download the subway and bus maps

http://www.mta.info/nyct

there is always weekend schedules which involves track maintenance- some trains don't run on weekends - 

Buses do NOT take cash - only a metrocard - which can be bought in any subway station

Trusted Contributor

@shoekitty 

I'd like to recommend Alvin Ailey, if you like dance. 

https://www.alvinailey.org/calendar/2019-12?location=&proximity=5

Also, if you go to the Met, check out the X-mas tree.

20191009_003032.png

Super Contributor

Everyone has given you so many wonderful ideas! Have a fabulous time.  I remember taking my daughter while she was growing up. It was the best!

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

My granddaughters are 24 and the other turned 30 recently!  They are such kids at heart.  Right now they are always begging me to go to a tea room. When we go to Los angeles they love Chanos tearoom next to the Japanese National Museum.  They love the little sammies and tea!!!   The trouble with going with social media addicts is they want to take a bazillion pics of the food before we eat it.  I am ready to dig in.  I hate the photo things, but oh well.

my one granddaughter asked if the Plaza Hotel has tea plates.  She is fixated on visiting the Plaza.  Anyone?

@shoekitty   Sorry that I can't answer the question about tea but I had my 50th birthday party (with a few close girlfriends) at the Plaza for Sunday brunch which was wonderful!  Of course that was 15 years ago but you can still have an amazing meal at the Palm Court in the Plaza.  It's a beautiful space.

You've gotten a lot of great suggestions so far!  Maybe you can get tickets for a TV show too...I'm not sure if this was mentioned but I loved The Tenement museum on the lower east side ...my grandparents came to this country in the early 1900s and lived in tenements in NYC then.

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@ILTH 

Casual is good for me.  I am going to look up Alices right now.   My granddaughter is booking the Plaza Palm room for tea.  I just told her and she is very excited.  I could use 20 or 30 of those little sammies right now.  Missed breakfast and lunch today.  Heading for the fridge now, lol.

@shoekitty   I just saw that you booked the tea....please let us know how you like it when you return.  I'm thinking of trying it out myself with either my daughter or some friends.