Trusted Contributor

Re: What' to do in Manhatten?

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

I LOVE NEW YORK during the holiday season!

Yes, it is crazy crowded but that is what makes it so FUN!

However, it is definitely a walking experience-- and I mean BLOCKS and BLOCKS.

There is also just too much to see and do, so try to prioritize your interests.

Not sure of your granddaughters ages, but---

I do highly recommend the Rockettes show at Radio City Music Hall-- a great New York City tradition!

Many first timers like taking the horse carriage ride in Central Park (a bit pricey but relaxing).

You have to see Times Square and all the lights, as well as the store windows along 5th Avenue.

The Spirit of New York ship sails near the Statue of Liberty and provides lunch, brunch, dinner.

The Met is my favorite museum (the Egyptian temple!  The Cloisters!), but all muesums require several hours to tour.

Have a wonderful, exciting visit!

Ugh. Please don't recommend a horse carriage. It's a horrible, cruel and outdated recreation.  The horses are forced to trot hours and hours on cement in all kinds of extreme weather. They're not treated well.

Many of us voted for de Blasio  the first time because he said he'd get rid of it. It was a big issue. He didn't. 

Respected Contributor

The hop on and off bus is a great way to see the city in a day.

NYC is at it's best during the month of December.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

All of the suggestions are spot on. If your girls want a lovely kids treat take them to Rumpelmayer's. The hot chocolate is divine; the desserts are great. It is designed for kids. Not sure how old your girls are but child or adult, Rumpelmayer's is a treat. It's on Central Park South by the St. Moritz Hotel.

One other place I haven't seen mentioned is The Cloisters Museum. It is a museum of medieval art and sculpture. The Rockefeller family brought it from France brick by brick. It is a castle situated in northern Manhattan and looks out onto the Hudson River. The gift shop is wonderful. The exhibits include the Unicorn tapestries. I bought a kit of the Unicorn in Captivity. It took me 3 years to work but it is lovely.

You can get there on the number 4 bus which is a tour of Manhattan in itself.  While you're waiting for the bus get some hot roasted chestnuts. They are superb!

ETA: The Number 4 bus goes all the way to The Cloisters. It is the last stop that it makes. You can't get lost.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ChouChou wrote:

All of the suggestions are spot on. If your girls want a lovely kids treat take them to Rumpelmayer's. The hot chocolate is divine; the desserts are great. It is designed for kids. Not sure how old your girls are but child or adult, Rumpelmayer's is a treat. It's on Central Park South by the St. Moritz Hotel.

One other place I haven't seen mentioned is The Cloisters Museum. It is a museum of medieval art and sculpture. The Rockefeller family brought it from France brick by brick. It is a castle situated in northern Manhattan and looks out onto the Hudson River. The gift shop is wonderful. The exhibits include the Unicorn tapestries. I bought a kit of the Unicorn in Captivity. It took me 3 years to work but it is lovely.

You can get there on the number 4 bus which is a tour of Manhattan in itself.  While you're waiting for the bus get some hot roasted chestnuts. They are superb!

ETA: The Number 4 bus goes all the way to The Cloisters. It is the last stop that it makes. You can't get lost.

Long gone.  

It was in the hotel. Neither exists anymore. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My granddaughters are 24 and the other turned 30 recently!  They are such kids at heart.  Right now they are always begging me to go to a tea room. When we go to Los angeles they love Chanos tearoom next to the Japanese National Museum.  They love the little sammies and tea!!!   The trouble with going with social media addicts is they want to take a bazillion pics of the food before we eat it.  I am ready to dig in.  I hate the photo things, but oh well.

my one granddaughter asked if the Plaza Hotel has tea plates.  She is fixated on visiting the Plaza.  Anyone?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty wrote:

My granddaughters are 24 and the other turned 30 recently!  They are such kids at heart.  Right now they are always begging me to go to a tea room. When we go to Los angeles they love Chanos tearoom next to the Japanese National Museum.  They love the little sammies and tea!!!   The trouble with going with social media addicts is they want to take a bazillion pics of the food before we eat it.  I am ready to dig in.  I hate the photo things, but oh well.

my one granddaughter asked if the Plaza Hotel has tea plates.  She is fixated on visiting the Plaza.  Anyone?

@shoekitty 

Yes. The Plaza still has tea in the Palm Court. You should make a reservation. 

I mentioned Lady Mendl's (make a reservation) and Alice's (my preference, much more casual - 2 locations) in one of the other posts. 

No reason you can't do 2 or 3 teas.☺

P.S.

I think your granddaughters are old enough to watch the tree lighting alone. 🤣

Honored Contributor

@ILTH 

Casual is good for me.  I am going to look up Alices right now.   My granddaughter is booking the Plaza Palm room for tea.  I just told her and she is very excited.  I could use 20 or 30 of those little sammies right now.  Missed breakfast and lunch today.  Heading for the fridge now, lol.

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty: Since this wilI be your first trip to the Big Apple, I highly recommend checking out the New York City visitors website and either download the visitors guide or send an email request for a hard copy of the visitors guide. You'll find information about the subway system, broadway theatres, shopping, restaurants, sights to see, etc, etc, etc. Hope you and your granddaughters enjoy your trip!  

Trusted Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@ILTH 

Casual is good for me.  I am going to look up Alices right now.   My granddaughter is booking the Plaza Palm room for tea.  I just told her and she is very excited.  I could use 20 or 30 of those little sammies right now.  Missed breakfast and lunch today.  Heading for the fridge now, lol.

I love going for tea. It's so civilized. ☺

I hope you have fun here. If you can't tell, I love my city, even though it has a lot wrong with it, too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty wrote:

My granddaughters and I are going to New York first week of December.  Our hotel will be the Dominick.  It is near Soho, and Manhatten I think.  We are excited as we havent ever been to New York.. Anyone who has been there, or lives near there we could sure use some suggestions on things to do!  I have some questions as well....

Is it far to go to Statue of Liberty? Or

Central Park

any good museums near by?

thank you!  

@shoekitty   When I was growing up, my father took us to see the Nutcracker & the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall, stroll by Macy's windows, ice skate at Rockefeller center and see the big tree.

Ahhh...memories Smiley Very Happy

Edited to add: I only wish we had seen the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade in person just once. As an adult, it is on my bucket list that DH and I take the trip to NYC for that and a Broadway show Smiley Happy