Respected Contributor

Re: What's the best story, you either heard, or read, or in music? What was it?

I always loved reading, but remember thinking that the "classics" sounded boring and out of date.  One summer (I was in fourth grade) my school was renovating the library and getting rid of some worn books, offering them free for the taking.  I grabbed "Little Women" and for the first time was transported to another world through the written word.  It certainly changed my mind about the "classics"!

Honored Contributor

@Suzeecat wrote:

I always loved reading, but remember thinking that the "classics" sounded boring and out of date.  One summer (I was in fourth grade) my school was renovating the library and getting rid of some worn books, offering them free for the taking.  I grabbed "Little Women" and for the first time was transported to another world through the written word.  It certainly changed my mind about the "classics"!

@Suzeecat 

And that's why the classics are classics! Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

As a child, my favorite book that I chose to read myself, was (and I made myself memorize the title and author) was Helen Fuller Orton's book called, "Grandmother's Cookie Jar".  I loved it.  Wish I could find a copy of it today, but not able to.

In a song:  My dad sang the saddest dog song to us.  Old Shep.

In a dog movie: Old Yeller.

All childhood memories.

@qualitygal  It's Cooky not Cookie so that could be the problem. Amazon has 2 copies.

However one has a nice picture of the hardcover copy but inside the description is not the same.

The other one looks ok for it's age and is selling for $25.

Good luck

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse.   All time favorite book quote "The things we see are the same things that are within us.  There is no reality except the one contained within us.  That is why so many people live such an unreal life.  They never allow the world within to assert itself."

My college art professor allowed me to write it on the blackboard during break, was great fodder for conversation.

When I was in high school I'd hold up my history book on my desk and inside was Jane Eyre, was reading that while the teacher rambled on about history.  Got caught, got thrown out of class haha.  We all have our likes & dislikes Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal  I found one on Amazon. Last copy

IMG_0143.jpeg

Valued Contributor

Screenshot 2023-08-31 194838.png

Too many as I was quite the bookworm while growing up!  Any and all, I loved to read. I could happily spend time back then just paging through the encyclopedias at home.

But I do have special memories of the "Donna Parker" series, mainly because I was allowed to buy a new title with my allowance as soon as I saw one in the local bookstore. I felt so grown up!

One of those books and a Jolly Rancher green apple stick (or a Sugar Daddy sucker) and I was in Heaven. My dentist did not feel the same about that part however!

Screenshot 2023-08-31 194656.png

Honored Contributor

@qvcfreak wrote:

@qualitygal  I found one on Amazon. Last copy

IMG_0143.jpeg

@qvcfreak  This is not the one she is looking for - she is looking for Grandmother's Cooky Jar by Helen Fuller Orton. Yes the cooky spelling is correct.

I posted upthread that Amazon has 2 copies but one is not in the best shape.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

My favorite teacher read The Incredible Journey to us as a class and we were transported

into their world.Sharing this with her is such a wonderful memory.

Page 1

Another no 1 favorite was a Wrinkle in Time.

I tried to read it a few years ago and thought I don't know why I loved this so much. I guess you had to be a 10 year old kid.

MY favorite children's book that my mother read to us was Circus Time about Molly going to the circus with her daddy and he carried her home as she fell asleep.Circus Time Little Golden Book #31 Marion Conger 1st Print 1948 "A" Edition HTF

In college I discovered Agatha Christie and read every single book I could find from her instead of reading all the things I was supposed to lol!

The books I love now and can read over and over are The Cat Who books by Lillian Jackson Braun.

I've mentioned this before but The Silent Language by Edward T Hall is a fascinating book about how different cultures use space and time and language differently.

It gave me such a greater understanding about how people from all over the world communicate differently.

And I was really affected by To Kill a Mockingbird. Feeling how

peoples thoughts and actions hurt so many and (how others helped) and still goes on to this day.

And in music, still one of my favorite songs is Colors of the Wind from Pocahontas.

Thanks for this thread @qualitygal Heart

You always think of such engaging things to think about and shareSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 @qualitygal 

Amazon has it too but it's used

IMG_0142.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

📚 As a kid, I loved Little Golden Books and Classics Illustrated. I was also a great fan of any and every mystery book series geared toward young adults. I often visited our local public library, housed in a large buliding built back in the mid 1800's. It was just like those fabulous libraries seen in classic old movies. Huge and rambling with the right touch of spookiness.