Honored Contributor

Re: What's With All the Praying?

"Have a blessed day" is also a southern expression. I heard it all of the time when I was growing up. 

When DD got her first full-time job she would stop in a drug store near her office. The women there always say that to her. She wasn't used to hearing it, but it makes her feel good.

Before this forum, I've never heard anyone complain about it. 

I like hearing it. Blessings can come in all shapes and sizes, no matter what your beliefs are. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I am frequently in groups of people of a faith that is not mine, and I get good wishes for days that mean nothing to me.

I take it in stride as someone wishing me the best rather than using it as an excuse to get angry.

Life is too short for always being ticked off.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

I have the feeling we're really going to be in for it when the Happy Holiday time rolls around...

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I agree. I feel it is hard to have discourse with people who take issue with someone wishing them life and all its fullness conducive with happiness and welfare. Whether that makes you aggravated, displeased, resentful, hurt, put out, vexed, resentful, etc.. (but not offended), I don't understand how that could be considered inappropriate, self centered or short sighted.

I don't believe in "blessings" so that person is not wishing me anythiing of  any meaning to me.  Which goes back to my original point - if the hosts want to be all inclusive, just say "have a wonderful rest of the day" or whatever, without the religious overtones (again - see the FIRST  meaning in Merriam Webster for "blessing"). That is my point for which apparently Smaug thinks I am crabby and which many here mistake for taking "offense."  "Have a blessed day" is absolutely meaningless to me other than it tells me someone wishing me that assumes I believe what he or she does, when I don't.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NoelSeven wrote:

I am frequently in groups of people of a faith that is not mine, and I get good wishes for days that mean nothing to me.

I take it in stride as someone wishing me the best rather than using it as an excuse to get angry.

I am not angry in the least.Or offended, or crabby, or everything else people have accused me of on this thread. My comment is that it's not appropriate for a QVC host to say religious or political stuff.  What's the problem?  Why not change  well wishes as I've suggested multiple times on this thread to include people who don't believe in blessings stuff?  I'm not telling everyone in the world to do that - I'm talking about the aprpropriate things a QVC host should say to his or her audience. Good grief - some people really either don't read correctly or miss the point by a longshot.  Unreal!  

And I do believe 95%-plus people go by Merriam Webster's first definition of "blessing" when using and hearing that term - not the third definition.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I agree. I feel it is hard to have discourse with people who take issue with someone wishing them life and all its fullness conducive with happiness and welfare. Whether that makes you aggravated, displeased, resentful, hurt, put out, vexed, resentful, etc.. (but not offended), I don't understand how that could be considered inappropriate, self centered or short sighted.

I don't believe in "blessings" so that person is not wishing me anythiing of  any meaning to me.  Which goes back to my original point - if the hosts want to be all inclusive, just say "have a wonderful rest of the day" or whatever, without the religious overtones (again - see the FIRST  meaning in Merriam Webster for "blessing"). That is my point for which apparently Smaug thinks I am crabby and which many here mistake for taking "offense."  "Have a blessed day" is absolutely meaningless to me other than it tells me someone wishing me that assumes I believe what he or she does, when I don't.

I personally do not believe in blessing either but I also do not believe that someone saying that assumes I am religious either. My daughters grandmother says this very often to everyone.She is very religious and most people I know that say it are religious but I do know a couple who say who aren't.  She knows that I am an Atheist also and I once jokingly asked her if she was trying to recruit me after she said that. I was purely joking but I could tell that hurt her a little bit when I said that. She told me she never meant it that way, it was just her way of telling me she hoped I had a good day and that most of all she hoped my efforts that day were appreciated.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Ahhh, but did I say who was crabby? Nooooo. Yet you assume it's you who is the crabby one. Why is that? I wonder... 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

@Smaug wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Ahhh, but did I say who was crabby? Nooooo. Yet you assume it's you who is the crabby one. Why is that? I wonder... 

So are you going to dispute my impression of who you meant? Hmmmmm?

Since you bring this up......

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Smaug wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

So are you going to dispute my impression of who you meant? Hmmmmm?

Since you bring this up......

Sure, why not?

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

I am not angry in the least.Or offended, or crabby, or everything else people have accused me of on this thread. My comment is that it's not appropriate for a QVC host to say religious or political stuff.  What's the problem?  Why not change  well wishes as I've suggested multiple times on this thread to include people who don't believe in blessings stuff?  I'm not telling everyone in the world to do that - I'm talking about the aprpropriate things a QVC host should say to his or her audience.  Holy Moly - some people really either don't read correctly or miss the point by a longshot.  Unreal!  

And I do believe 95%-plus people go by Merriam Webster's first definition of "blessing" when using and hearing that term - not the third definition.

This seems a little silly that we are going back and forth lke this over this saying. I actually didn't click on MW dictionary, I just read what was below it before you click on it, so I had no idea what order they came in. It really doesn't matter whether it was first or not though, there was more than just one meaning. Dictionary.com has 7 different definitons of the word.

You say you are not offended or upset over this but I am just having trouble understanding why someone leaving you with a positive saying is objectionable.

This also happened with the Air Force when a person complained and the Military Religious Freedom Foundation got involved after the gate guards used this phrase. The Air Force later found the greeting is consistent with AF standards and not in violations with AF instructions.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK