Honored Contributor

Re: What's With All the Praying?

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I am an Atheist and I find absolutely nothing wrong at all with saying have a blessed day but I am not looking to be offended.

I don't see anyone on this thread looking to be offended.  As I stated in my post above, I'm not offended in the least.  I think it's inappropriate, and the posts agreeing with me are expressing the same.  There are  ways of wishing people a good day without imposing one's own beliefs on them.  Again, I think it's inappropriate and actually self-centered of the hosts not to include everyone in their well wishes for a nice day.  I don't believe in "blessed" days, so the hosts aren't including me in their well wishes, and are being short-sighted thinking they are wishing everyone listening to them a nice day.

Wow. Do you get this "vocal" when someone wishes you a merry Christmas? Do you put them in their place, right then and there, that you do NOT want them pushing their religion down your throat?

Or, do you just smile, accept the well wish, in the spirit that it was intended?

Wow back at you.

None of the above.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I am an Atheist and I find absolutely nothing wrong at all with saying have a blessed day but I am not looking to be offended.

I don't see anyone on this thread looking to be offended.  As I stated in my post above, I'm not offended in the least.  I think it's inappropriate, and the posts agreeing with me are expressing the same.  There are  ways of wishing people a good day without imposing one's own beliefs on them.  Again, I think it's inappropriate and actually self-centered of the hosts not to include everyone in their well wishes for a nice day.  I don't believe in "blessed" days, so the hosts aren't including me in their well wishes, and are being short-sighted thinking they are wishing everyone listening to them a nice day.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Like I said I am an Atheist and have been one for about 30 yrs. Having said that I do not believe it is inappropriate at all and I do not see at all how it is self centered. You do not have to be Christian or religious to wish one or to get one. A blessing is a thing conducive to happiness or welfare. To wish someone a blessed day means that you are wishing them to be conducive to happiness or welfare in life and all its fullness. I don't consider that short sighted at all and IMO those who take offense to that are most definitely looking for a reason to be offended.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Wow. Do you get this "vocal" when someone wishes you a merry Christmas? Do you put them in their place, right then and there, that you do NOT want them pushing their religion down your throat?

Or, do you just smile, accept the well wish, in the spirit that it was intended?

Wow back at you.

None of the above.

So, you don't like it when a host wishes the viewers to have a blessed day, because that is them "shoving religion down your throat", but you are a-okay with someone wishing you a merry Christmas, when Christmas is steeped in religion.

I take it then that we won't see any posts from you this Christmas season complaining about the hosts wishing the viewers to have a merry Christmas?

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I couldn't disagree with you more. Like I said I am an Atheist and have been one for about 30 yrs. Having said that I do not believe it is inappropriate at all and I do not see at all how it is self centered. You do not have to be Christian or religious to wish one or to get one. A blessing is a thing conducive to happiness or welfare. To wish someone have a blessed day means that you are wishing them to be conducive to happiness or welfare in life and all its fullness. I don't consider that short sighted at all and IMO those who take offense to that are most definitely looking for a reason to be offended.

It's fascinating that someone could quote my post stating I don't see people offended and completely ignore that part and then post about people being offended.  Sigh!  Hard to have a discourse with the ridiculous.

@Say Nay  Really no need to start calling people crabby.  We are discussing a subject about which there are disagreements; no need to stoop so low.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I couldn't disagree with you more. Like I said I am an Atheist and have been one for about 30 yrs. Having said that I do not believe it is inappropriate at all and I do not see at all how it is self centered. You do not have to be Christian or religious to wish one or to get one. A blessing is a thing conducive to happiness or welfare. To wish someone have a blessed day means that you are wishing them to be conducive to happiness or welfare in life and all its fullness. I don't consider that short sighted at all and IMO those who take offense to that are most definitely looking for a reason to be offended.

It's fascinating that someone could quote my post stating I don't see people offended and completely ignore that part and then post about people being offended.  Sigh!  Hard to have a discourse with the ridiculous.

@Say Nay  Really no need to start calling people crabby.  We are discussing a subject about which there are disagreements; no need to stoop so low.

Getting defensive... I like, I like... !

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Esteemed Contributor

@Smaug wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Getting defensive... I like, I like... !

lol lol lol!!!

Honored Contributor

It takes a bit of sleight of hand to suggest that when someone says "Have a blessed day," they don't mean that in any kind of religious way. I can't imagine a non-religious person using that terminology. Now, whether one takes offense is an individual matter. Personally, I would just ignore it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I agree. I feel it is hard to have discourse with people who take issue with someone wishing them life and all its fullness conducive with happiness and welfare. Whether that makes you aggravated, displeased, resentful, hurt, put out, vexed, resentful, etc.. (but not offended), I don't understand how that could be considered inappropriate, self centered or short sighted.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Wow back at you.

None of the above.

So, you don't like it when a host wishes the viewers to have a blessed day, because that is them "shoving religion down your throat", but you are a-okay with someone wishing you a merry Christmas, when Christmas is steeped in religion.

I take it then that we won't see any posts from you this Christmas season complaining about the hosts wishing the viewers to have a merry Christmas?

Do you not see that you are not offering enough choices?  Is everything in your world black or white? Perhaps if you had not started your previous post off with a "Wow" I would have told you what I do.  You offer up two alternatives....there are many. You just don't think of them.