Trusted Contributor

Re: What makes "Impossible Meat" look like meat.

@cherry wrote:

Back in the middle ages people ate a lot  of plants, the peasants could afford little else

Watching the historical documentaries ,  they always show undernourished people's bones. People were much smaller and shorter back then. A 12 year old child, might look like a 7 year old ,when their bones were examined

Exclusive plant-eaters, considering the entire animal kingdom, have to graze throughout the day to maintain energy.  Protein from meat, milk, and eggs is needed to stay to a 2 or 3 meal a day schedule that is needed for hard-working people to maintain a job.  

I love fruits and vegetables, but find I'm hungry all the time on that alone. 

Super Contributor

No veggie burgers for me... They do not look that great and so many of them are full of salt and tastes that I don't know....I want to know what I am eating not mystery meat/etc...

Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Back in the middle ages people ate a lot  of plants, the peasants could afford little else

Watching the historical documentaries ,  they always show undernourished people's bones. People were much smaller and shorter back then. A 12 year old child, might look like a 7 year old ,when their bones were examined

Exclusive plant-eaters, considering the entire animal kingdom, have to graze throughout the day to maintain energy.  Protein from meat, milk, and eggs is needed to stay to a 2 or 3 meal a day schedule that is needed for hard-working people to maintain a job.  

I love fruits and vegetables, but find I'm hungry all the time on that alone. 

@GrailSeeker 

Protein isn’t a magic macronutrient.

It only has 4 calories per gram, like carbohydrate.

Meat, milk & eggs like you described, has fat in them..NINE calories per gram...but this fat is saturated fat, not healthy for humans. 

If one is ‘hungry’, they are not consuming enough calories. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom   I know that statement that if one is hungry they are not consuming enough calories is not correct for me.

I find that If I consume too many carbs, weather they came from fruits, starchy veggies or sugary treats, I am so hungry that it drives me crazy.  I am opening and closing the fridge looking for more food, when I know I have had enough.

Fat in the diet satisfies me. Even one tablespoon of peanut butter will stop me from being hungry. 

Our bodies need fat, it is not a big enemy if eaten in moderation.  Eating a cupcake with frosting made with a stick of butter is not something that people should eat everyday, but once in a while it's a special treat. 

Science has shown and proven that eating a high fat animal protein diet can lead to heart attacks and eating a plant based diet can lead to  strokes.  I didn't way they will, but that they can.  So, either way, you take your chances.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@sidsmom   I know that statement that if one is hungry they are not consuming enough calories is not correct for me.

I find that If I consume too many carbs, weather they came from fruits, starchy veggies or sugary treats, I am so hungry that it drives me crazy.  I am opening and closing the fridge looking for more food, when I know I have had enough.

Fat in the diet satisfies me. Even one tablespoon of peanut butter will stop me from being hungry. 

Our bodies need fat, it is not a big enemy if eaten in moderation.  Eating a cupcake with frosting made with a stick of butter is not something that people should eat everyday, but once in a while it's a special treat. 

Science has shown and proven that eating a high fat animal protein diet can lead to heart attacks and eating a plant based diet can lead to  strokes.  I didn't way they will, but that they can.  So, either way, you take your chances.

Sorry...there is no ‘science’ proving a plant based diet can lead to strokes.

And ‘moderation’ has many, many different definitions.

And as for fat...everything has carbohydrate/protein/fat. I agree...our bodies need fat, but only a very small % of total calories (10-15%).  Any more than that, we are risking our cardiovascular health. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom 

You've said before that "everyone is deficient in Vitamin B12:".

Now you say:

<<And as for B12?
Everyone needs that vitamin due to our sanitized food sources, >>

You might want to qualify that claim by saying that "everyone who doesn't eat meat, eggs and dairy foods might be deficient in B12".  

People who would like a little more information than disinformation might want to check out the link below, as well as much other information available about B12,  and when supplements of the vitamin might be worthwhile for some people who avoid the foods which contain it.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-b12-foods

Honored Contributor

@novamc1  I eat both and am still deficient. I would be scared to think of my levels if I gave up meat , eggs and dairy..I eat them daily ,and still have to get a monthly B12 shot

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry

Your case certainly demonstrates that no single "specialized" elimination diet will "fix" all problems, prevent illness, and overcome all of the world's problems.

Claims to the contrary really need to be toned down, because they appear very stupid and seem to assume the rest of us are, too.

Honored Contributor

You are right about that @novamc1 . My Dr said I will be on vit  B12 the rest of my life, I eat a balanced diet  everyday..I am very careful   about doing, this and I still need help..

Trusted Contributor

This is what the SCIENCE says about human diet and evolution. Of course as an intelligent species, we can decide what is best for our current lifestyle, which is a far cry from that of human beings for most of our existence.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2012/04/20/150817741/for-most-of-human-history-being-an-omnivor...

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson