Honored Contributor

Re: What is wrong with the good ol USA?

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

It starts at the bottom. We need to start showing our children how to MAKE things again. Show them how to "craft" something worth passing on. It's then we can build a better USA.

@SilleeMee

Interesting theory, but as far as clothing goes, I don't think you'd sell this idea to the masses.   Fads come and go and even trends don't last as long as they used to.

@Tinkrbl44,

Oh I was speaking more about things that are handmade in general, clothing is a good example. Learning a trade to know "how to". Do schools even offer any vocational classes anymore? What about home ec? 

@Tinkbl44 @SilleeMee. Do schools even offer home ec. and wood shop classes, not for vocational but for personal practical use?  We have a whole bulletin board of women who are helpless when they get a pair of pants that are too long.  Hem them?  Banish the thought.  Better to spend $6.95 + $3. original shipping to return them.  This just flabbergasts me.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@esmeesmerelda wrote:

People don't really care imho.

They say they care but they don't.

Look at the thread in the Fashion board "Got the prettiest gown at walmart ."  

People look for bargains, don't want to know about the horrific conditions of the people who make the products or the way the companies treat their workers.

I agree @esmeesmerelda. General public gives lip service to caring but bottom line is they want cheap goods and turn a blind eye to how said goods are produced or how employees are treated imo.

Honored Contributor

Many people in this country just want to find something they like and can afford.  I wouldn't chastise them for that.