Esteemed Contributor

Disney World discontinuing Main St Electrical Parade

I am going to WDW with DD, SIL and 3 yr old GS on 10/15. I just read that the parade is being discontinued as of 10/9.   I am so disappointed.  I was so looking forward to seeing the expression on my grandson's face when they lower the lights on Main Street to almost complete darkness and the crowd gets quiet.  Then you hear the sounds of the familiar entrancing music and then finally the first float all lit up turns the corner and heads toward you.  It was truly a magical experience.   It was just about my favorite thing at Disney.

Honored Contributor

Re: Disney World discontinuing Main St Electrical Parade

Never been there ....  did they say why they were discontinuing it?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KathyPet wrote:

I am going to WDW with DD, SIL and 3 yr old GS on 10/15. I just read that the parade is being discontinued as of 10/9.   I am so disappointed.  I was so looking forward to seeing the expression on my grandson's face when they lower the lights on Main Street to almost complete darkness and the crowd gets quiet.  Then you hear the sounds of the familiar entrancing music and then finally the first float all lit up turns the corner and heads toward you.  It was truly a magical experience.   It was just about my favorite thing at Disney.

You should research this more.  They're not doing away with the parades.  They are taking it away from the pass to enter or something like that.  Always, always verify things for yourself.

I hope you feel better knowing your grandson can still see the parade.  You just need to find out what the new procedure is.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Disney Parks will pull the plug on the event this October, with the final Main Street Electric Parade coming Oct. 9. After that, it will head west for “a limited-time encore engagement” at Disneyland in California, according to a statement from Disney Parks.

The parade debuted in 1972, and continued on at Disney’s Magic Kingdom in Florida in various iterations from the late 1970s until 1991, the Orlando Sentinel reports. The parade made another run there from 1999 to 2001 before returning again in 2010.

The parade also has been featured at Disneyland, though not since 1996.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/experience/america/theme-parks/2016/08/11/walt-disney-world-pul...

https://secure.parksandresorts.wdpromedia.com/media/disneyparks/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/0809ZU_0170PM.jpg

The Main Street Electrical Parade, Magic Kingdom Park’s long-running nighttime parade, will officially end its historic run at Walt Disney World Resort on October 9 and then head to Disneyland Resort for a limited-time encore engagement. We wanted you to be among the first to know while there’s still time to plan a trip to Walt Disney World Resort to enjoy the magic and nostalgia of the parade one last time.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/08/main-street-electrical-parade-ends-run-at-walt-disney...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Wow, big B&M stores closing, restaurants, now no more Disney parade?  So sad, it's a spectacular light and sound parade especially for children to see...I enjoy it just as much!  I'm sure Disney won't disappoint your grandson, and seeing the joy in your grandson's face will makeup for the parade.  :~D

Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

You should research this more.  They're not doing away with the parades.  They are taking it away from the pass to enter or something like that.  Always, always verify things for yourself.

I hope you feel better knowing your grandson can still see the parade.  You just need to find out what the new procedure is.

KathyPet is correct.

Their parades are magical.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/experience/america/theme-parks/2016/08/11/walt-disney-world-pul...

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45, thank you.  I read where they were taking it off the "FastPass" only.

I stand corrected here.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I stand corrected with regard to my first response to you.  I thought I had heard and read about them changing the passes people buy.

@sunshine45, has clearly and definitively clarified for you and "me."

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@KathyPet We are going down the beginning of November with the daughter, son in law and 4 yr old granddaughter. I, too am disappointed.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

After the death of the child who was attacked by the alligator I think any parade Disney World sponsors is inappropriate.  There are still alligators on their property and I think it is not possible to get rid of them being that Disney World was built on swampland.