Respected Contributor

Re: Disney World discontinuing Main St Electrical Parade

KathyPet, 

I understand your disappointment, it is a great parade (one of my husband's favorites, only the Epcot illuminations show is "better" according to him)

We are going in September, so we will get one more time to see it.

I do have some info that you may or may not like:  We are taking the Pirates and Pals dessert cruise to see the fireworks.  While on the cruise, there is a lighted boat show that we should be able to see.  

I am hoping that the new Rivers of Light show at Animal Kingdom is up and running by our visit. I love Animal Kingdom and having the park open at night is something I can't wait to see!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since we are going in October Animal Kingdom is back to its regular operating hours and not open in the evening for the nighttime Safari.  However friends were there in June and did the daytime Safari and said there were plenty of animals to be seen during the daytime hours.  I would have liked to have seen the Rivers of Light show but that is also only available when the park is open late.

I will check out the dessert cruise in lieu of the Electrical Parade.

Respected Contributor

I can't imagine a trip to Disney without seeing the parade. At least they will be continuing it at DL. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

I remember when they stopped it at Disneyland for awhile.  I wonder if they pull it and then bring it back to make it more special?  We always stayed for the parade and then drove home.  We loved 90 minutes from the park. 

Respected Contributor

The hours at the parks have been changing as the time gets closer (if that made any sense)

Disney has been extending the Animal Kingdom hours-- keep checking as your trip gets closer.

I am not sure if you are aware, but the Disboards are a good source for the "latest" info as it happens.

Esteemed Contributor

The news release said the parade would be brought to Disneyland in 2017 for a "limited engagement run" but after that who knows?

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry to hear this. Disney did not state why? That is strange.

Super Contributor

Was discussing Disney World trips with several friends yesterday evening. One has been there with her grandkids recently. I and my other friend will have years to go before going there with grandchildren, as they are too young to enjoy or remember this destination yet. Have not been to WDW is 17 years, but it certainly doesn not sound like a relaxing vacation by any stretch of the imagination now. Rushing here and there, getting up early to order fast passes (they did not stay on Disney proper), have to be at certain venues at certian times, etc. Sounds exhausting and most likely will not be able to see everything you may want to. Guess my husband and I will have to take a trip down there to scout things out and do a lot of research before taking grandchildren there in the years to come...and then things will change again.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

They stopped the original parade c. 1985 for all live-action events.  (The parade is all mechanical.)  People love it and mourned it, so they then returned it c. 2000 for a limited run at 11 at night at peak times.

Cute theme song to that parade.  It's on my alarm clock, so I still get to hear it.

I did like the parade a lot, but they only brought it back around park closing, times I was there, and I never saw it again--I am no night owl.

I miss the Osborne Lights during the holidays  The original, through the houses on the back lot of the movie park, was imo the best thing they ever had, and they stopped it and finally sold it elsewhere.  _That_ was magical.

If you are staying in or around the Magic Kingdom, if it is still happening (I think it still is), take your grandchild to King Neptune's pageant, which is an electronic boat parade around the lagoon near Magic Kingdom (I have seen it from the Contemporary), later in the evening but with something of the charm of the Electrical Light Parade.

Respected Contributor

Truffle, what happened to the child was terrible, but alligators are all over Florida and there is no getting rid of them: every Floridian lives with them.  Where Disney built the resort had nothing to do with gators and Disney regularly police all of their waterways-manmade or natural-using licensed professionals. 

Poodlepet2