Respected Contributor

Re: What is the problem with new posters?

@Pearlee........LOL.......ok!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

Hello,

Years ago when I started with Palmetto State/Judy and friends I had a different "nic."  Then I also wrote with GJ on Positive.  I actually can't remember my old "nic" but I'm sure it related to our dog at the time.  Just like mine now.

My point is that some of us have been around so long that we have had a couple of names and sigs.  We're all not new and because of cross country moves and or illnessness and even losses we have periods where we don't post.

I never consider a new poster as a problem and don't notice their post #s.  So welcome new people!

Cathy

Respected Contributor

I used to like to post in one or two forums but I just decided to quit for a while.  I still think it would be nice if they would bring back block /ignore.

some posters just don't know when to quit --no they know when to quit they just don't want to

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Yes this board generally seems to be suspicious of new posters especially if there is a topic that seems controversial. I personally don't care either way. If I am so suspicious of a new poster and don't believe them or I feel something is off, I always have the option of not responding to their posts. I give people the benefit of the doubt until I have a reason not to. 

I think that's what most of us do. I can look at a thread started and just "know", and I don't respond or engage. 

@Moonchilde

I haven't thought about it in a long time, but last night one was so obvious I almost said Hello Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Yes this board generally seems to be suspicious of new posters especially if there is a topic that seems controversial. I personally don't care either way. If I am so suspicious of a new poster and don't believe them or I feel something is off, I always have the option of not responding to their posts. I give people the benefit of the doubt until I have a reason not to. 

Exactly........in the grand scheme of things does it really matter if someone is new or just changed their name? I still have complete control over what posts I respond to or not. I can give my opinions but have responsibility only for myself, my actions and reactions.

@reiki604  Yes and I understood your post to be about trolls. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@hellodali wrote:

Personally I think it is great to have new posters.  They bring some new ideas to the forum.  Another good thing is it shows the forum is still useful and hopefully QVC will keep it around for a long time. 

Welcome anyone new or anyone who doesn't post often.  Please don't be strangers.

@hellodali  I don't think anyone has a problem with legitimate new posters.   It's the ones who are "reincarnations" of other posters or who are just trolls coming to make trouble that people have a problem with.

Who you respond to is on you. If the obvious trolls were ignored, the threads would fade away into oblivion but there are always those posters who cannot just let it go and are somehow compelled to answer, argue with or have a conversation with others on the troll's thread, thus not letting the thread die a natural death.

@reiki604  Well let's see. You just posted this statement above: " I still have complete control over what posts I respond to or not. I can give my opinions but have responsibility only for myself, my actions and reactions."  So let me be - I'll post or not post as I see fit. 

Oh brother.  More nit-picking.   I cannot imagine picking apart every post and even more silly thread titles.  Sheesh-I cannot picture myself carrying around such intensity over a silly chat board.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

I have no problem with new posters, after all once we were all new  I have problems with posters that say they are new when in reality we know them by other names.

Respected Contributor

A critical thread title I can easily skip over and can see it for what it is, but if someone is "chatting" with themself to make it appear their point of view is supported, this is truly sad, and unacceptable, especially if they are being nasty with the sole purpose to shut down a thread. I would hope the IT group would sort this out, but from reading this thread, it must be ongoing.

Saying to ignore these folks is sometimes difficult for several reasons. Nasty posts quickly get threads locked or moved, and a once enjoyable thread is done, regardless if the poster is ignored or not. Civil conversation struggles in this environment. No poster, host, or vendor should be a target of nasty comments, which is a written form of verbal abuse. It's normal to want to stand up for those being targeted, and then the pot stirrer gets what they want: attention. I have no solutions and couldn't decipher which nics are multiples, but will keep on participating and enjoying the nice people who post here.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The unspoken rules of etiquette for new posters are, introduce yourself. Never just jump into a discussion without doing so for it is akin to a home invasion. Woman LOL

Never tell another poster or posters that they are being mean, rude yadayadya because that too will bite you on the behind. Suddenly a band of posters will appear seemingly from nowhere and agree with every single one of the posters who had an opposing point of view to yours no matter how pointed or rude theirs actually was. It is NEVER up to YOU to say, when it's happening to YOU. Sorry for the uppercase.

Never use uppercase!  Woman LOL

When you finally do develop a thick skin then you really need to watch out!  Boy oh boy yesiree Bob!!  Comments such as oh, hmmm,,, you're not so innocent after all. 

Valued Contributor

@Dash

I come and go, but not always every day, and I don't read most of the different forums. If there have been negative posts about new posters, I haven't noticed them. 

If you do get any negative comments, I would try to just ignore them. I think most of the posters are very friendly. At least in the forums I frequently read.