Honored Contributor

Re: What is the problem with new posters?

@Dash wrote:

@SouthFlorida321 wrote:

@Dash I'm new here as well to the forums and have made a few posts.  What they are trying to say is people who have been around for a while have disagreements with others and them come back and sign in with a new"nickname" as it's called. It happens at HSN and most chatrooms.  Yes, it is quite easy to spot their style of writing, subject matter, etc. very soon.

And yes, these nicknames talk and have conversations with themselves.  Creepy, I know, but what can you do?  Oh my goodness..... Smiley Indifferent

Thank you for the explanation.  I guess there is history with some posters that I am not aware of.  I can see how it would be irritating if banned posters showed up under a new name or used several names to cause problems.  It's unfortunate that all of us "new" posters are suspect.  

If you read the other thread, you will see that not all new posters are suspect.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

Yes this board generally seems to be suspicious of new posters especially if there is a topic that seems controversial. I personally don't care either way. If I am so suspicious of a new poster and don't believe them or I feel something is off, I always have the option of not responding to their posts. I give people the benefit of the doubt until I have a reason not to. 

I think that's what most of us do. I can look at a thread started and just "know", and I don't respond or engage. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

Like you I signed up in 2007.  When the boards changed we all became members as of 2010 and lost all of our posts.   I recognize some old timers and a few others who are special.  If someone comes on announcing they are new I say welcome and let it go.  There are some posters who tend to come on strong and those I remember.  New or old one has to have thick skin, you never know when someone won't like what you said.  Woman Surprised

@Cakers3 wrote:

Accusations based on sign-up dates and # of posts can be unfair.

My original sign-up date is actually 2007 with this nic.   However my current sign-up date shows 2015.

There were some really funky things that have happened with board changes.

Banned posters were allowed back in with this new update.

The update in 2007 was a real mess and after only being here 1 month I had to set up a Cakers1 nic.

So perhaps some posters had problems with orginal nics, set up new ones, then were able to go back to their old ones.

There are some old-timers here with new nics and I know two of them.

I don't pay attention anymore to sign-up dates and number of posts.  It only causes more pot-stirring and bad feelings.

@Cakers3 wrote:

Accusations based on sign-up dates and # of posts can be unfair.

My original sign-up date is actually 2007 with this nic.   However my current sign-up date shows 2015.

There were some really funky things that have happened with board changes.

Banned posters were allowed back in with this new update.

The update in 2007 was a real mess and after only being here 1 month I had to set up a Cakers1 nic.

So perhaps some posters had problems with orginal nics, set up new ones, then were able to go back to their old ones.

There are some old-timers here with new nics and I know two of them.

I don't pay attention anymore to sign-up dates and number of posts.  It only causes more pot-stirring and bad feelings.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

I've been watching the Q since the 90's and was thrilled to find these forums. But I find that my opinion is always light years away from what everyone else thinks. That being said, I do find it interesting everyone elses opinion and regional ways of thinking. I stopped buying from the Q years ago, I prefer to support my local merchants. I do get a bit upset when there is a new poster and everyone typically won't even listen to their point of view solely on the fact that they are new. Woman Sad

"Pure Michigan"
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

If there is a poster old or new, the moderators will decide and be judge and jury as to who might be breaking any rules of posting.  You can agree to disagree without being disagreeable. Too many times, it doesn't happen that way. That's another reason some of the past posters have left. 

Honored Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

I remember back in the day when I was brand new.  I was jumped all over immediately since people assumed I was someone else.  

When I started posting regularly, I was called a troll & other names. As you can see, I wasn't put off at all...kept posting. That's their problem.

Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

Unfortunately, some new posters start posting only to create havoc. 

That's a snarky comment and some new posters that are hesitant to begin will certainly be scared off. 

Honored Contributor

I've had more issues/problems with existing posters than all the new ones combined. 

There are several here that hide behind the bushes just waiting to attack...either by subject or because of who is posting. 

I find it disheartening that anyone sits and waits to post snarky remarks, digs, personal affronts, and start arguments. Sometimes they are poofed, but more often they slip by to offend another day.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@catwhisperer wrote:

Unfortunately, some new posters start posting only to create havoc. 

That's a snarky comment and some new posters that are hesitant to begin will certainly be scared off. 

No, @Shanus, what @catwhisperer said is truth, not snark, because I, and others have seen it happen, time and time again.

Honored Contributor

@Dash it is unlikely you are the target.  I've noticed that sometimes a new poster will ask "is ______ married" or "why haven't I seen _______ on the air" when it is clear they are baiting people to say unkind things about hosts/hostesses.  I read the boards for a whole year before joining in.  We are all new a some point.