Trusted Contributor

Re: What is the oldest item in your wardrobe?

@redbirdThe oldest thing in my closet is my Girl Scout uniform. Well over 55 years old. I can't part with it. The big yellow bow tie is so funny. Can't believe I was ever that tiny.Woman WinkWoman LOL

I do have a few very old handbags that my mom had when she was in her twenties. Kisslocks and great leather. I use them quite often. Really nicely broken in leather. Not the least bit worn. Old quality stuff is awesome. They are over 80 years old.

Nice post. Thank you.

Honored Contributor

I also have a cloth handbag my great grandmother carried, and the leather handbag my Mamaw carried on her wedding day in 1922.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not necessarily in order, but...

I kept a cloth purse I sewed when I was in high school.    I haven't used it in years, but can't part with it. 

Also kept my "going away" outfit from my marriage 50 years ago, because it's so representative of that era - 100% polyester double knit pop art print with a flippy mini-skirt.  That sucker should be in a museum one day lol.  Sewed that one myself, too.

An oldie that I still wear occasionally is a red wool cape that I bought on impulse at Macy's in the 80s.  The bright red is so "me" and I get comments and compliments when I wear it.  It's quite warm, so opportunities to wear it are limited.  It still looks like new.

After reading the other replies, it made me remember a Gucci handbag that I bought on a trip to Italy in the 80s.  The exchange rate was extremely favorable to us at that time and the bag was a steal.  I stopped using it when I got into bigger bags, but I think I need to take it out again because it would definitely work as a crossbody.

Mentions of baby items reminded me that I have my christening dress and cap, made by my grandmother.  That's definitely the oldest item - 72.  Yikes!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

Back when Liz Claiborne was a real fashion label, I still have my black, mat jersey tunic. It's too big for me now, but I refuse to part with it. That and a Liz map of France shirt-love!! Circa 1980's

Valued Contributor

A suede bomber jacket that is navy blue with tan trim. Some places are so worn and actually look like shiney leather now. I purchased it at Marshall Fields approximately 1999/2000 when I lived in Chicago. I obviously won't wear it in my current south Florida location, but couldn't bear to give it away. I save it for the instances when I travel back to Illinois.

Respected Contributor

I still have a Calvin Klein suede pull over shirt that I bought in 1981.  It is still soft and supple and beautiful.  It's a gray/taupe color and was over $500 in 1981 (a real investment for me at the time).  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

I have blue Woolrich fair isle sweater from college. I graduated in 1996.
Honored Contributor

I have a bracelet that I can still wear from my high school years and is 63 years old, and a bracelet that is from my pre-K years that is 73 years old and I cannot wear.

Believe it or not, I still own my favorite pair of platform strappy heels from 1973.  Gads!  they are now 49 years old.  I don't dare wear them for if I did and fell over, I'd break a few bones.

I've so much more in the 40-odd-year-old category.  Too much to list. 

Respected Contributor

I have my fathers uniform he wore in the Korean war, he was in the army.  It must be 70 years old.  For things I wore I have a leather jacket my mom bought me 30 years ago I can't part with.

Esteemed Contributor

@redbird 

The oldest is a leather motorcycle jacket I saved to buy when I was 12 years old, 70 years ago. Next is:

I have the suit I wore when I played in the band, as a sophomore, for a Senior Prom. I was 15 years old at the time, so 67 years old.

Keeping it to remind me how heavy I was until I took control of what I ate. 

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)