Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is the oldest item in your wardrobe?

My wedding dress.  And sadly it does not fit.  LOL

Honored Contributor

A very old pre-war Japanese silk kimono which my mom handed down to me from her family. It has her family crest on the sleeves and on the back. Of course I don't wear the thing and it's stored away for safe-keeping but that is the oldest thing in my wardrobe. Does that count?

Honored Contributor

My wedding dress.

The oldest item I have in a box in the closet, however, are my first baby shoes.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I guess this qualifies.  It's a copper looking pin that's in a shape similar to a question mark.

It was in a few of the presents given to my sister, myself and her 4 children. 

It was Christmas Eve.  There was a knock on the door and when I opened the door it was a box of toys and a few adult gifts.

It was from the Salvation Army.  I was 14 years old and living with my sister and her 4 children.

I've kept it to remind me to always be proud of what I accomplished, where I came from and give to others.

My girls have always heard the stories; this is the story that's told every Christmas.

I'm 75 now so it's very old.  I get it out and look at it at least once a year.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

A very old pre-war Japanese silk kimono which my mom handed down to me from her family. It has her family crest on the sleeves and on the back. Of course I don't wear the thing and it's stored away for safe-keeping but that is the oldest thing in my wardrobe. Does that count?

@SilleeMee   It must be beautiful.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

The oldest item hanging in the closet is probably 10 years old, and hasn't been worn since I retired.   

Several of the cotton dresses I wore as an infant, and the baby quilt Mamaw made for me, are 66 years old.  I have my first Easter "pocketbook" which is 61 years old.  The dress I married in is 50 years old.  I have a heart locket received as a gift in Sunday School that is 60 years old.

Honored Contributor

Vintage 1940s high heels. They make my feet look soooooo tiny. I rarely wear them but they have so many good memories, I couldn't part with them.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

My Mother bought me two Pendleton 49er jackets in 1957 and wore them until 1982 when I donated them. Well Pendleton reissued the design last year and I bought two, one from them and one from EBay ( last time it was reissued in 1994). They still are in style and I'm wearing same size and I wear one or the other about twice a month.
Honored Contributor

I think my oldest piece is a bracelet that was given to me when I was about five. That was over 65years ago.

It's sterling filigree flowers, I suppose almost tennis bracelet style. The adults took off a few links so I could wear it while young but gave me the extra links, which I reattached when I got older. Maybe I'll take its picture tomorrow.

As to clothes, I have a few significant pieces I kept from from the 80s (there was a lot of real silk clothing back then) and also a beige wool gabardine jumpsuit from the 1970s. I don't wear any of them but think they are good-looking and were always well-loved.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

This isn't a wardrobe piece but I have a gold Blessed Virgin Mary pendant that was given to me on my Confirmation day.  The chains may have changed over the years but I still wear the pendant each and everyday.

I'm not a superstitious person but I feel like I'm protected when I wear it.  The few times I had to remove it for surgery my husband held it for me and then put in back on my neck once I was returned to my room. 

Wearing it gives me comfort.