Respected Contributor

Re: What is the oldest item in your wardrobe?

A titanic era dress that I bought 20 years ago from an estate sale. It is about 113 years old. It still fits me but it is fragile so  I don't wear it but it is so pretty. 

Honored Contributor

A black wool and rayon knit LBD.    It had shoulder pads and colored stones and studs on those shoulders.  Mock turtleneck, 3/4 sleeves, fitted.  I wore it with black patent high heels to a discotheque in Paris in 1992 .... it was an amazing night.   

After reading the other posts, I realize I also have a very elegant evening bag, black rayon with stunning rhinestones, made just after World War I.     I keep extra cash in it now.  

Esteemed Contributor

I have a pair of Merrill's winter slip ons they are 21 years old and still going strong. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@redbird 

Thanks for this thread.  I am enjoying reading about everyone's "treasures"!💕

I am so sentimental about certain articles of clothing and jewelry and I love reading that others are too!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

For me it is definitely jewelry.  I am in my late 70s, and I wear the diamond that was my grandmother’s engagement gift on my right hand.  I have a delicate diamond and tiny emerald ring and a gold pocket watch that belonged to my great-grandmother.  I gave a beautiful pendant necklace that belonged to her to my DD.

They are touchstones to my great-grandmother, grandmother, and mother.  They were all both strong and lovely women.

Esteemed Contributor

My high school t-shirt from 1966. I wore it for several years, but now keep it in the bottom of a drawer.

My Cinderella watch. It was a Christmas gift from my aunt when I was in kindergarten (1954) and I wore it every day all thru elementary school. It's now in my safe - but it still works!

Fun thread!
* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

I have a cardigan sweater that was hand knit in Norway in 1967.  It is all done in shades of gray and is so pretty.  I wore it last week.  I also have a Norwegian sweater from 1954, but it is too small for me to wear.  My mother purchased it there and I just have to keep it. 

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned a wool coat purchased from QVC about 20 years ago.  I bet I have that same coat!  I haven't worn it lately, but it's too nice to get rid of. 

I have the baptismal gown from my father's family that was first worn in 1911.  My son wore it and one of my granddaughters wore it. 

Trusted Contributor

The oldest thing in my closet is.....Me!  😉  Otherwise, nothing worth mentioning.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A robe or a coat I think.  Could be boots.

It just hit me, my babybook.  Good grief!! Wait, that's not wardrobe...never mind.

Esteemed Contributor

This was a fun read!   I have a few things, my high school cheerleading sweater (graduated 1978) a cashmere scarf my Aunt brought me back from Scotland when I was 9 years old and both my childrens christening outfits (they are 36 and 38).