Honored Contributor

Re: What is the oldest item in your wardrobe?

My mom and dad always gave me a splashy Christmas gift, and around 1969-1970 I fell in love with a really great coat, and it became my Christmas gift that year.

It's a very firm heavy tight knit wool in the BEST shade of chocolate brown, with trim of mottled black/brown curly lamb fur around the whole front opening and collar.

The closing, hidden by the fur, is by hook and eye, covered  by the fur.

Somewhat military style.

Can you tell how much I love it? Almost there.....can't wait to wear it again.

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

For me it is definitely jewelry.  I am in my late 70s, and I wear the diamond that was my grandmother’s engagement gift on my right hand.  I have a delicate diamond and tiny emerald ring and a gold pocket watch that belonged to my great-grandmother.  I gave a beautiful pendant necklace that belonged to her to my DD.

They are touchstones to my great-grandmother, grandmother, and mother.  They were all both strong and lovely women.

@PamfromCT wrote:

For me it is definitely jewelry.  I am in my late 70s, and I wear the diamond that was my grandmother’s engagement gift on my right hand.  I have a delicate diamond and tiny emerald ring and a gold pocket watch that belonged to my great-grandmother.  I gave a beautiful pendant necklace that belonged to her to my DD.

They are touchstones to my great-grandmother, grandmother, and mother.  They were all both strong and lovely women.

I too, have my grandmother's engagement ring. I don't know if it was engagement or used as a wedding ring.  

Honored Contributor

the oldest thing---ME !!!!!

Honored Contributor

I have a beautiful antique slip which was part of my mother's trousseau.  The marriage was in 1928--  I just couldn't leave it behind when we dismantled her home.  Every once in a while, I take it out of its tissue and think about sending it to a vintage shop.   Pretty soon I will.

Esteemed Contributor

A Denim & Co. French terry tunic from over 25 years ago. Plus a Denim & Co. animal print velvet big shirt from 30 years ago. This was back in the day when the quality was high, so high that the items still look new. I couldn't bear to ever give it away. It still looks amazing.

Esteemed Contributor

@zitawins wrote:

I have a beautiful, cream lace two piece dress from Jessica McClintock that I wore as Mother of the Bride when my middle daughter was married 35 years ago. It's got a full skirt and a lacy high neck top, all lined in cream silk.

I can't part with it!

WOW! That sounds gorgeous! 

Honored Contributor

My official NFL Art Monk Redskin jersey from the 80's......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Does anyone remember Terry Lewis on HSN? I have a long length black leather coat with a removable lining that I can't bring myself to get rid of. I call it my Matrix coat.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3   We have my DH's baby shoes and he is 83!

Esteemed Contributor

For me it’s a short navy wool coat with removable fur collar that is very warm. I’ve had it for about 20 years. It’s was big on me but I loved it so much I purchased it anyway. Now it fits perfect. 

Living in Texas I don’t wear it often but yesterday it was in the 40’s and I got to wear it, it’s colder today but didn’t go out.