Honored Contributor

Re: What is the likelihood of somebody going through trash to steal your identity or obtain bank an

i think it can happen.

several years ago, i had trash can out my back door. every monday i pull out the cans for tuesday trash pick up day. one time I did pull out trash on monday, i went out to dump a load a garbage in the can monday, and all my garbage was gone. i use the plastic trash bags so there is no loose garbage in the can. so where did my trash go. never did figure it out. I shred everything so if they wanted info they got shredded papers.

i always wondered where that trash went never did figure it out.

Honored Contributor

Re: What is the likelihood of somebody going through trash to steal your identity or obtain bank an

You can buy a shredder at Walmart for  20-40 for the home use

Problem solved or use hands and tear

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always shred documents and info with my name/address on it.

Not only could people go through your trash but someone could find something at the dump where trash is taken.  I'd never take the chance.

All it takes is once.

Respected Contributor

Likelihood?  Who cares?  We have a shredder.  We shred everything that could identify us.  When we have a large amount of stuff, we get in touch with a commercial shredding company and let them do the job.

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge

Oh my gosh what a wonderful idea.

I've been cleaning and came across about 1 foot of paperwork that I just couldn't see burning up the shredder and remembered what you wrote

I took a bucket, put my papers in, filled with soapy water, let it sit overnight and today all I did was take some out, formed into a "rough" ball and tossed.

That is the most time saving idea I came across...something so easy I never thought about it.  I still remember sitting for hours with the shredder doing all my mom's stuff....a bucket, water, soap overnight, all done!!!