Respected Contributor

I love having a fence myself.   Front yard is 3' and the back is 5'  all chain link.  My dogs can come in and out and have a lot of running room.

yard

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

Re: What is proper fence etiquette?

@shoekitty wrote:

I live in California, everyone has to have a fence that lives within city limits.   It is put on the exact property line, usually by the builder before the home is sold.  Fences are owned by both neighbors.  So you have 3 people to deal with.  The fences have to be a certain height, and inspected usually.  Costs are split by both neighbors.If they don't want to pay, and your fence is in bad repair, you can go to court and the judge will order payment.  If the fence is bad, your home cannot be  sold without contingencies.

Do most of you live back east?  I see in the movies back yards with no fences.  What do you do for privacy if you want to have a bar b que or party?.  What if the dog or cat run off. I cannot imagine not having a fence.  But actually the yards look better without a fence, unless you live next to the beverly Hillbillies.  What is done if your neighbor has a junk yard? Yikes, my mind is running wild thinking if I had to live next door to slobs.  I mean we have a couple of would be  horders on the block, but I don't live next to them.  They have a fence and the neighbors next to them still complain they are so bad. It would take years for the City to make them clean up.

It's can be a nuisance when you don't have a fence.  I live on a corner and people walk  through my yard everyday to get to my neighbors.  And I don't mind the mail carriers or utility people it's all her people.   And I'm the crab because I don't want them to do that.  Neighbors today don't care and where I live more houses are becoming rentals.   The back yard of that house is fenced and was put in many years ago before they moved in  and I am so grateful.  My front yard is a bank so if I put a fence it would be impossible for me to cut.  It's easier for them to walk up my bank than her steps.

Most fences here are put on the property line or only a few inches in because once the fence is put up few people are going to go  and cut grass on the other side plus the yards are smaller.

Honored Contributor

@debc wrote:

I love having a fence myself.   Front yard is 3' and the back is 5'  all chain link.  My dogs can come in and out and have a lot of running room.

yard

I hope that's not your house.tmi

Respected Contributor

LOL, I'm not in the least bit worried.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*