Valued Contributor

Re: What is proper fence etiquette?

We're a neighborhood of walls here in Santa Fe. So if you want to shut someone out, you wall them up.

Its very medieval of us. Smiley LOL

But I can assure you that even a wall won't necessarily quiet a barker.

Oy. I sometimes wonder if a neighboring property raises wolves or somethin'.

It may cut down some on the barking if your dog is that "visual".

But you want to think of other alternatives to a fence if the barking is the real issue or impetus for wanting to put up a fence.

I mean, unless the fence benefits you in other ways, what happens when you slap it up, have that expense AND your dog continues to bark?

As for the support posts, every HOA may have its own rules on that. Some neighborhoods, of course, have no HOA and the city ordinances may or may not be that specific (in terms of which way a fence ought to face).

While it seems nice & neighborly to put the pretty side facing the neighbors, if they don't like the idea of a fence or the sort of fence you're putting in, it won't much matter to them if the nice side is facing them.

Sometimes, if you can cooperate with the neighbor, they might want to put up a mirroring fence of their choice on their side of the property line. They might want to do that anyway if they don't like the exact fencing you choose anyway.

So you don't want the stupidity of putting the nice side of your fence facing them for them to just slap up a fence of their own liking on their side which suits their taste.

It sometimes happens when someone puts up a wood fence...but a neighbor wants to look at a sleeker vinyl fence to coordinate with their aesthetics or house. You put the good side of YOUR fence facing them just to see it then covered by their mirroring fence (also now facing them). lol

Trusted Contributor

Thank you to the people who answered my questions about fence etiquette.

I have already checked the city ordinances about fences and they do include that the posts and cross posts have to face in toward the owner's lot.  But, they do not cover how far from the property line a fence must be.  The fence can be 4', 5', but not more than 6'.  

I have to agree with those who like the vinyl fences.  That way the problem of maintenance is lessened.  

I have to admit, after reading some of the posts I'm hoping I get people like some of you for neighbors.  Others, not so much.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Occasional Contributor

Bless you for being so considerate. As others said, check with any hoa and city or township regulations. We only had to get a permit ($50) We have 3 dogs on one side and 5 on the other. The 5 hardly make any noise but the 3 bark CONSTANTLY--day and night at EVERYTHING. I work nights but don't care to hear it at 2 a.m. or 2 p.m. or 10 a.m. or 10 p.m!!!!. MOST dogs, if given enough attention, only bark when necessary, not whenever they feel like it.

Former dog owner--still miss him every day

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Fencing-- need a survey most times and fence companies will insist on it to be certain where to place the posts. The good side (no rails across the sides) faces outward as a safety precaution for people who might decide to climb your fence and get into your yard.

Sealant at least once a year to the wood to preserve it. Most fence companies use pressure treated posts to install the fencing to.

If you can, the PVC is maintenance free or should I say not as labor intensive as keeping a wooden fence from deteriorating over time.

PVC comes now not just in white but in khaki, wood grain as choices and the other advantage is there is no good or bad side as the fence is installed on the sides of the posts.

Keep the dog inside during the installation.

ETA: you do not have to do the entire fence in wood or PVC, you can do it in sections or sides of property. When we did our backyard, we did the gated sides first and then about 3 years later did the remaining three sides. Its a matter of courtesy to let your neighbors know you are installing a fence or changing a fence. We went with a khaki picket fence that went from 4' to 6' in height as it went towards the back of the property.

'Tinkerbell' Mtn Laurel & 'Blanc Double de Coubert' Rugosa Rose.JPG

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@brii wrote:

We left ours natural.  I can't imagine the upkeep to paint or stain it.  I love the stencil.  Can you do that without staining the rest?

Our town has rules for where the fence goes.  Do you need a permit to install one? 

Our fence posts face into our yard. 

That's the problem.  Our neighbor on one side had a white painted wooden fence.  It looked horrible every few years because the paint starts to chip and it all needed to be sanded and repainted.  Eventually the wood started to rot and the whole thing needed to be replaced.

The new neighbor replaced it and left it natural which is much better but he really did a poor job with the replacement.  Any good wind storm knocks sections of it down.  It's really very flimsy. 

DH and I are going to replace what is our fence and talk to the neighbor about replacing this wooden fence, with the vinyl fence.     

Honored Contributor

@Lovethesea wrote:

@wismiss wrote:

I have just bought a home.  My dog is a barker--barks at cars going by, people walking by, bikers,etc.  So, I want to install a privacy fence so her barking is kept to a minimum and the neighbors won't be upset.

My question to you is, aren't you upset that your dog barks "at cars going by, people walking by, bikers, etc"?  If you and your dog have already moved into your new house, your neighbors are no doubt already upset that your dog barks so frequently.  Why would you want to keep such a dog and fence it in?  Why have a dog at all when there are much quieter pets available?  Just curious.

So you are suggesting she get rid of her dog because it barks? 

Trusted Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

I have to admit, after reading some of the posts I'm hoping I get people like some of you for neighbors.  Others, not so much.

I imagine that there are many who are thanking God that they don't have to endure your barking dog.  How you can live with it I cannot imagine.

Respected Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

@NUNYA wrote:

@Lovethesea wrote:

Since the O/P's dog is barking so frequently, it isn't serving as a watch dog and I would think that the O/P wouldn't know if the dog is barking to serve as a warning.  How unsettling!  

If the dog is "part of the family" as someone said, it should behave as a family member.  You wouldn't allow your child to scream frequently, would you?  So why would you allow your dog to bark frequently.  As JLF posted above, the dog should be trained!

my neighbor own a daycare, yes kids (all 50 of them) are allowed to scream, all day. 

So if my dog barks a few times a day, they can deal with it.

I don't consider a dog who barks a few times a day a barker.  I'm sorry if you live next to a daycare because I think that would be  a nuisance just with the extra traffic.  

Thanks. it's a wonder I'm still sane. Smiley Tongue  It evolved from a home daycate into a full facility with staff. It's quite a circus sometimes 

Honored Contributor

@Lovethesea wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

The topic is about fence etiquette.  

... and that was thoroughly addressed.  Now we're getting to the core of the problem.

No you aren't.  And besides, the OP didn't ask you about that.

You are assuming an awful lot in your post.

Some of you are acting as if the OP is planning on leaving her dog outside 24/7, 365 days a year to just bark.    

Honored Contributor

@Lovethesea wrote:

@wismiss wrote:

I imagine that there are many who are thanking God that they don't have to endure your barking dog.  How you can live with it I cannot imagine.

You're a real pleasure.