Honored Contributor

Re: What is needed for Drivers License?

I think the definitive I.D. is the Real ID.  You need social security card, EITHER birth certificate or US passport (only reason to prove you are a citizen.  If neither consider yourself deported,  The actual reason behind the Real ID)  2 different official letters from any institution with your name and address (proof of residence)  You can't prove identification any more then that.  Other then taking your blood & DNA, it's as close as proof as you can be. 

Honored Contributor

https://www.dmv.org/drivers-license/real-id

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

Definitely visit YOUR state's DMV's website, or call your local office or stop by and ask. All I know is for my state it requires a lot of documentation.

Contributor

I took my 89 year old father with me because he recently moved here to live with me and just needed an ID, not a license.  He was so proud of himself that he found his original birth certificate and the lady working with us wasn't sure if that was an acceptable document.  She had to talk with her manager and they finally decided that that they would.  I think if he was getting a license, they would have not have.  I think she also felt sorry for my Dad and this ordeal was trying for him. He also had his SS card and proof of residence.  At least in PA they are reluctant to accept an original birth certificate because it's from the hospital and not from the city or town registrar.

Honored Contributor

@jeepgrl   Birth Certificates are always issued by the state.  The hospital documentation is not a birth certificate.

My father who was born in PA at home in 1911 had a state issued birth certificate. You can always request a duplicate copy if yours is lost.

Honored Contributor

I got an Enhanced License to be able travel into Canada (from Washington State) using just my license.  It is up for renewal next year.  I know I did not have to bring marriage licenses because I don't have them!  

Honored Contributor

@RainyDayGal wrote:

Definitely visit YOUR state's DMV's website, or call your local office or stop by and ask. All I know is for my state it requires a lot of documentation.

Exactly. We have 50 states and each has their own dmv.  Some ask for a social security card, others accept another form that is government issued that shows the number.  Just one example for how things may differ from state to state.  

very easy to go to your state's dmv website and get the correct info for you!

Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

The smart thing to do is check with your states DMV.  It will be on their website or you can call.

I agree. After reading so many of your experiences, it’s clear that not all state requirements are exactly the same. One commonality is that if you have your passport in your current name it is much easier. I got my star drivers license about 3 months ago. 

Honored Contributor

@Somertime   According to the information I found on line.  Real ID is a  Federal requirement used to gain admission to a Federal facility or to fly.

It is not a mandatory requirement in any of the states. So, you do not not need Real ID unless you plan to fly or enter a Federal facility..like a military base.

You can also use a valid passport instead.

Contributor

I didn't even look at it when he said he found his birth certificate.  I didn't realize that it was from the hospital until we were at the DMV office. Fortunately they were very kind and accepted it.