Respected Contributor

Re: What is needed for Drivers License?

Michigan only required current license and passport. THe new drivers license is suppose to be in a paper sleeve they sent because it has passport info in it.

Honored Contributor

You should have gotten a pamphlet listing the requirements when you got the notice for your renewal.

Valued Contributor

In order for me to get gold star on license I needed my drivers license, birth certificate, social security card and marriage certificate and something with my signature on it.  I used my credit card.

That is what I needed.  Marriage license to show how I got my current name.

I have it all in one place and have used it for other things.  Worth keeping it all together.

I almost didn't pass eye test.  Freaked  me out.  Cataract surgery today.

Honored Contributor

If you have a passport, you do not need the newer real ID license or if you do not travel by air, you do not need the Real ID license.

Many people are panicking and getting the Real ID which they will never need or use.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie   In my state, there is no choice.  All renewals as well a new drivers are required to have the gold hologram on the license.  This started in my state in 2017. 

Trusted Contributor

i just recently renewed mine online and nothing extra, other than the originally required stuff, was needed. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You cannot depend upon responses here. You just have to look up your state's requirements on its motor vehicle site. All the info will be there.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

For drivers license renewal, according to email notification, I will need:

*Proof of age and identity - original or certified copy of birth certificate or unexpired U,S, passport. If name is different on these documents, marriage certificate, divorce decree or other court documents explaining the name change.

*One proof of Social Security - original Social Security card, W-2 form or SSA-1099.

*Two proofs of state residency -  vehicle registration, insurance card, credit card, utility bill, bank statement, or mail from a Federal, State, or local  government agency.

Esteemed Contributor

In Virginia it’s optional. To fly or enter Federal buildings you wil need the Real ID or a passport or passport card or other federally accepted form of ID and they are listed on the state’s DMV site. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs I just went last Friday, I live in NYC, I went with my sister and two nieces, we were there for four hours! I took my birth certificate ( original no copies), my driver's license, Social Security Card, and a bank statement. You must have a document that has your whole given name, including your middle name not just initial, if you have a different last name due to marriage you will need your marriage license or passport. You should take more than you think you need, some people were turned away because they didn't have all their documents.